SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 16

A very sad episode tonight, also very anti-climax but I am sure it is not as simple as it looks.

It was the morning after that night where Yee Soon had to sleep with that dirty lusty old man called the Emperor. She smilingly had her bath, then went back to her room smilingly as the maid helped her and when the maid left, she sat on her bed sulkily. She wasn't the least bit happy and she was pretending to be happy. I kinda find Yee Soon to be a very depressed type of person, maybe prone to melancholy since she wasn't exactly the happiest person in the world. Why she was so miserable we could see in the next few scenes.

Yu Fei went to see the Empress and saw Yee Soon there greeting the Empress, as dictated by the rules of the Palace. The Empress was very pleased with Yee Soon and even took the red pouch that Yee Soon refused to give to the Emperor and Yee Soon let her have it. Yu Fei wasn't pleased and decided to leave early. But before that we are told Yu Fei's daughter is already 100 days old and as with custom a prayer ceremony will be held and Yu Fei thanked the Empress for her concern and the Empress kinda implied having a daughter was no big deal.

Anyway then Yee Soon and Yu Fei joined in the practice session with the monk and Yu Fei was informed that those born on the year of the horse or anything bearing the image of horse was bad luck for the baby and so much be disallowed.

Yee Soon heard this. On her way back to her room she bumped into a panic looking Po Shim quickly burning something and Yee Soon was fast enough to see it was an effigy with the birth date of someone written on it.

At night Eunuch Tsui told her probably Yu Fei was trying to curse someone and with that birth date, it should be the Empress. Yee Soon doubted it was Yu Fei since Yu Fei was not superstitious and did not take such things seriously. But Tsui reminded Yee Soon to half curse Yu Fei's baby during the ceremony, so that when Yu Fei was kicked out, Yee Soon could take her place since she was now the Emperor's favourite woman.

Illogical scene : She only slept with the Emperor ONCE so to call her his favourite woman is a bit too soon and was like jumping the gun.

Then we see Yu Fei and Po Shim having their small talk where Yu Fei said that effigy was by Yu Fei meant to test Yee Soon as she couldn't really trust Yee Soon. She knew the Empress was keen on getting Yee Soon onto her side and so she had to be sure Yee Soon was unlike Yuk Ying, without an agenda.

Illogical scene : I don't see how the effigy connects to all this loyalty testing time but I assume by Yee Soon not telling the Empress immediately about the curse by Yu Fei, meant Yee Soon passed Yu Fei's first test.

Next during the ceremony Yee Soon was helping out, the Empress asked to hold the baby and Yu Fei obliged. Then Yee Soon noticed the Empress asked someone to bring the baby a blanket and Yee Soon saw on the blanket given by the empress were the motifs of 2 horses. Yee Soon was surprised but said nothing. Yu Fei must have seen the horses as later she had her discussion with Po Shim again and really sorry to say I was totally lost about what they were saying and why Yu Fei now trusted Yee Soon.

Illogical scene : By Yee Soon not screaming "Yu Fei, STOP! Got horses on the blanket!!" meant she earned Yu Fei's trust. How so? Did Yu Fei arrange for the monk or that person to lie about the symbol of bad luck on that auspicious day so she wasn't scared when the blanket arrived? I don't understand!

Anyway Yee Soon wasn't feeling very well and Yu Fei sent Po Shim to take care of her (also to spy on Yee Soon's reaction when being told of the feud between Yu Fei and the Empress) and Bak Yeung came to see Yee Soon but Yee Soon brushed him away and refused to let him touch her. Bak Yeung was baffled and when Yee Soon said "You should go to the patient whom you want to see most" meaning Yuk Ying, Bak Yeung left, somewhat reluctantly.

Illogical scene : I always wondered about this; can a male doctor who is not an eunuch walk in and out of the room of a concubine? Touch her hands when feeling her pulse? I thought it's a big no-no?!

The above scene happened earlier actually so I was out of sequence.

Anyway where was I? Ahhhh Yee Soon then went to see Fook Nga who was actually being visited by Bak Yeung. Bak Yeung saw her making gloves and Fook Nga said "I am making those for Yee Soon" and Bak Yeung said "She has become the Emperor's consort and she won't be here to see you much, why are you doing this?" and Fook Nga gently replied "I am happy for her, that she is now the Emperor's consort. She may not be able to visit me often but I am still happy for her". Then Bak Yeung shyly asked Fook Nga if she was ok if he asked her to make another glove for him? And Fook Nga asked "For you?" and Bak Yeung said "No, I would like to give it to a Tap Ying, she burnt her hand recently (meaning Yuk Ying) ..." and Fook Nga gently asked "Like this style?" and Bak Yeung said "Yes, but not too tight as it might hurt her hands" and Fook Nga cheerfully said "Alright". Yee Soon heard all these and was so angry she wanted to cry as she stomped away but she turned back and headed her way to Yuk Ying.

Yuk Ying was screaming in her godzilla mood again since nobody was there to serve her and her hair looked messy. She was trying to comb her hair when Yee Soon walked in and Yuk Ying was very surprised and said "What are you doing here? Have I not suffered enough from your deceit? You're here to see me suffer?" and Yee Soon in a mean voice and mean look said "Let me comb your hair for you...unless you wish for me to inform Yu Fei about your disobedience.." and Yuk Ying said "You're Yu Fei's favourite person now..." and Yee Soon said "I should thank you because you have taught me what not to do and I have passed Yu Fei's tests with flying colours, although they were dangerous tests " and Yuk Ying said "You're despicable, you're a deceitful person" and Yee Soon gloated "As you know I am not the Emperor's consort" and Yuk Ying was wondering why she was telling her all these and Yuk Ying screamed "Why are you telling me all these? You're already the Emperor's consort? You've got the man you want, the man I want, I am suffering now, what more do you want?!" and Yee Soon angrily replied "The man I want? I am now with the man I do not love whilst I have failed to have the man I would want to be with, unlike you!" and Yuk Ying was probably thinking what the heck this woman is saying when Yee Soon angrily pulled Yuk Ying's hair and used a pin to lightly run it over her face and said "I could never understand what is so special about you that makes men go crazy...you're pretty that I admit but apart from your beauty you have nothing, you are nothing." and Yuk Ying was very scared now and said "Let me go, you've won, don't you see?" and Yee Soon said "Remember this; I am now the Emperor's consort whilst you..you will never ever leave this place, ever" and Yuk Ying was left to sob really really loud and Yee Soon angrily walked away.

All pure jealousy and poor Yuk Ying didn't even know where that was coming from.

Next mostly on Onn Sin.

Hung Mo was going to be promoted and Onn Sin was happy for him but was worried she may have accepted too much of his help since he is helping her to take care of her grandma outside of the palace who was now recuperating from her broken leg.

Chan Song was not happy that Hung Mo was spending a lot of money on Onn Sin and risking his career for her and he was out of line when he equated Onn Sin to a prostitute who wanted only his money and that Chan Song can satisfy her needs too. Hung Mo slapped Chan Song and Chan Song ran away. Onn Sin saw everything.

When Hung Mo went to see Onn Sin, he pretended to be cheerful and all but Onn Sin said she knew that she was killing his relationship with Chan Song and she was not very happy but Hung Mo reassured her Chan Song and him will be fine. Onn Sin was worried.

As Hung Mo walked back to him post, he was cornered by Po Shim who make him some cakes. Hung Mo took it and quickly left and Po Shim went away angrily when Chan Song ran after Po Shim and smilingly gave her a very precious Jade Buddha. She accepted of course, that greedy woman.

Obviously Chan Song liked Po Shim and Po Shim liked Hung Mo who liked Onn Sin. Very messy. But Chan Song clearly had no taste. To call a nice girl like Onn Sin a prostitute and yet he himself going after the most vengeful and deceitful person like Po Shim, Chan Song is obviously suffering from an acute shortage of good taste. I like Hung Mo even more after this.

Next scene Onn Sin was waiting by the door for her grandma. This visit reminded me of prison visits; family members will come, your name will be called out and then you take your family member to another room for chit chat and exchange of goods, like in prison. Onn Sin's grandma was again no show and Onn Sin urged the eunuch to wait for a bit longer and he refused when dramatically Hung Mo entered assisting the grandma walking towards Onn Sin. Ignoring protocols (that her name must be called first), Onn Sin tearfully and happily ran to her grandma and hugged her tightly whilst Hung Mo gave the eunuch some money to shut him up. In the room, tt was a very tearful reunion as her grandma said "I am now very old, I can't see too well. Let me touch your hands...ahhh...I have not see you for so many years, you have lost weight..." and Onn Sin fought back her tears. Onn Sin expressed her happiness at seeing her grandma and her grandma extended her gratitude to Hung Mo. Onn Sin promised her grandma she will make her a warm blanket as the winter was coming and could give it to her when she finished her duty in 6 months time. Her grandma was very happy to hear this.

Outside the palace Hung Mo arranged for the grandma to stay at a nice place that was a temple whilst waiting for Onn Sin to be released from the palace. He had a chit chat with the grandma who said "Once Onn Sin is released, we can return to the village. It may not be as affluent here, we may be poor there but I can make cakes and sell them for a living. As long as we are together, we will be happy and contented". Hung Mo smiled but knew Onn Sin will be leaving him soon.

I love this scene because the grandma was so optimistic and all Onn Sin ever wanted was to go home to her grandma. So what happened next was truly a tragedy of Greek proportion.

Once in the palace, Hung Mo told Onn Sin what grandma said and he went on to say .."But selling cakes in the village is not profitable. It would be better if you sell them here at the city, where you can make more money. I have enquired from you, there is a nice shop around here but the place is a bit complicated but I am sure it will be good.." and Onn Sin looked at Hung Mo kinda surprised he made all the plans for her already and Hung Mo shyly said "I am sorry, I have stepped out of line.." and Onn Sin said "Oh no, no, the more you do for me the more indebted I am to your kindness" and Hung Mo said "I just wanted to help you, you don't have to repay me anything. Moreover you were not in the position to help yourself and I have wanted to help you but I think I should go now..." and Onn Sin smilingly called Hung Mo and sweetly said "I have wanted to say sorry but I would think that would be inappropriate now. I think I would rather say thank you, for all your help. I am sure I will be able to manage that shop in the ciry.." and Hung Mo happily smiled and said "I can drop by to help you once in a while, as a friend of course.." and Onn Sin smiled as Hung Mo left.

Ahhhhhhh love. Such a romantic scene.

When Onn Sin had a conversation with Siu Luk Tzi, her every sentence was filled with Hung Mo and Siu Luk Tzi said "He seems to help you a lot" and Onn Sin said "I do not know how to repay his kindness" and Siu Luk Tzi said "Maybe he doesn't expect anything in return" and Onn Sin was silent on this.

She knew! She knew! Hung Mo was willing to kill for her, die for her, risk his career for her, spent money on her, planned her career for her, I mean what more can she ask? Just imagine if the tragedy never have happened, Onn Sin would have stayed in the city opening her nice cake shop with her grandma and she would have married Hung Mo, living happily ever after as they're both very devoted to one another. Unfortunately, the writer must have seen one too many Korean dramas..

Hung Mo went to visit the grandma and was told by a nun she went up to the hill area to pick some wild berries to make cakes. And when I say cakes it is like dim sum type, you know small kuih-muih? Anyway he looked for her the whole day and whole night and he heard wolves' cry and he was very worried. Then he stumbled upon the grandma laying on the ground with blood all over her face.

At night Onn Sin saw a very serious and shocked looking Hung Mo walking towards her. Siu Luk Tzi asked Hung Mo what had happened and Hung Mo reluctantly said "Grandma died, she was mauled to death by wolves, she was already dead when I got to her" and Onn Sin was too stunned for words and she quickly ran out but Hung Mo tried to stop her but Onn Sin screamed "Let me go!!" and she ran and ran and ran. Nothing Hung Mo said could ease her pain.

She was still in mourning when Po Shim rudely asked how come no one washed her dept's clothes yet. The maid pleaded with her and explained Onn Sin's situation. Po Shim quickly went to Onn Sin and saw her sewing the blanket. Po Shim took the blanket away and arrogantly said "Someone died, big deal! You still have to do your work! You're no longer the ku-ku of before! I will tell Yu Fei!" and Onn Sin looked at her with anger and calmly said "Get out" but Po Shim refused and ran out with the blanket and Onn Sin said "Give me back my blanket!" and they fought and the blanket tore into two. Onn Sin was very angry and Po Shim arrogantly said "What:? You want to hit me? Hit me if you dare!" and Onn Sin slapped her.

Onn Sin was then punished, I think by Yu Fei (I can't be sure) and she was made to kneel in front of a big building. She could leave but she continued kneeling, crying in the heavy rain. Hung Mo came running to her and pleaded with her to snap out of it but Onn Sin ran back to her room and quickly tried to gather the torn pieces of the blanket and when Hung Mo tried to stop her she screamed "Where is it?" (I don't know what she was looking for as I couldn't hear that specific line) and she tearfully knelt on the floor and cried "Why?
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!!!!" and Hung Mo could only stand by her side and was lost for words.

Basically what Onn Sin meant was "Why God! Why this shit is happening to me?! I just wanna go home, why are you doing this to me?!??!" and the answer my friend is "TVB writers, very sadistic bunch. Also good for ratings".

Tomorrow Yu Fei taught a lesson in humility as she was framed for something she didn't do... and Hung Mo warns Po Shim...

Very sad episode tonight. A bit anti climax simply because the grandma died way too soon. I quite like her though. Her emotional reunion with Onn Sin has my vote as the best scene because it was lovely to see genuine love after much plotting amongst the women BUT that encounter between godzilla and Yee Soon has my vote as the 2nd best simply because love can make a bitch out of anyone, to put it simply. I feel so sorry for Onn Sin. Don't feel sorry for Yuk Ying though, and have yet to feel sorry for Yu Fei.

Am I the only one who doesn't quite feel sorry for Yu Fei at this stage?

And who said Maggie Cheung had little role? Quite a lot mah!

I love best the development of story between Hung Mo and Onn Sin. I was quite surprised at the change of direction of Hung Mo's character, from ambitious to simply in love. His character reminded me of those Korean hunks you know, that's the way a man should love a woman. I find him romantic and I really really like his total devotion to Onn Sin. I also like Onn Sin's reaction to his devotion. I am eager to see how Yu Fei falls for Hung Mo and whether Hung Mo ever abandoned his love for Onn Sin. I am sure many more episodes to do.

Performances wise, Moses Chan can do better but I think he did very well as a man in love. He looked totally at ease with Maggie Cheung and they looked so compatible. More emotional scene, not very good.

Maggie Cheung had to do a lot today, as she had to do a lot in previous episodes. Her character has two sides; like today she has to be happy, contented, cheerful, eager, sad, angry, desperate, disappointed...every single emotion known to mankind she had to portray them all today and may I say, she did all of them so well I just love watching her Onn Sin. The only time she nearly falters was when towards the end, she was crying and crying, not very convincing, maybe because the rain close up looked fake. I sincerely feel she is the best actress amongst the 3 actresses. Sheren Teng excluded since she is veteran.

Sheren Teng was ok lar. Her character still very one dimensional, nothing much to do.

Rebecca Chan looked very beautiful tonight with her elaborate costume and she did well, especially the scenes where she had a war of words with Sheren's Yu Fei. Any ordinary viewer who has yet to read any review may be fooled by her kind look and generous disposition. Of course to make Yu Fei look kind, the Empress must of course be evil. There is no other way around and I feel what a waste!

Gigi Lai was unbearably loud but she did quite ok when she was threatened by Yee Soon but still so much over acting, like acting overdrive. Why nobody told her to loosen up a bit and just act naturally? Or maybe in real life she is that over the top?

Charmaine Sheh did quite well today except that I am not convinced she was vindictive enough in that scene where she marched into Yuk Ying's room and did what she did. It was supposed to be a shocking behaviour, a behaviour out of pure jealousy and I thought she simply didn't look mean. She was merely acting I am afraid. Why nobody told her to you know summon that real green monster in her and just act real? I mean like "Charmaine, it have been what? 3 years and you have yet to win the most favourite actress award! How do you feel? HOW DO YOU REALLY FEEL? Yesssssss....show THAT!". Charmaine's acting as a cool melancholic person was good but beyond that was somehow very unreal, I can see that she's acting. She and Gigi Lai are two extremes, one at the extreme of one end, Gigi Lai at the extreme of the other end. Between them both, Charmaine is better, of course.

Everybody else was ok.

So glad didn't see that lusty emperor. Urghhh...




- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

9 comments:

Kidd November 14, 2005 at 5:06 PM  

Illogical scene : I don't see how the effigy connects to all this loyalty testing time but I assume by Yee Soon not telling the Empress immediately about the curse by Yu Fei, meant Yee Soon passed Yu Fei's first test.

When I first watched this scene, I was as confused as u. I was like 'Why is Yee Shun not warning Yu Fei about the horse blanket shows she is loyal to Yu Fei? Shouldn't she be disloyal for not telling Yu Fei about the unlucky blanket?' But after reading the explaination posted in a forum (I forgot which, most probably spcnet), I finally understood. The Po Shim burning stuff and holding effigy act was meant for Yee Shun to see, but the horse blanket thing was unplanned. At that time, Yee Shun was going to follow her godfather's advice and tell the Empress about the cursing, but before she did so, she noticed the horse blanket and how Yu Fei was totally uncaring about a unlucky item covering her daughter. This incident showed that Yu Fei is a totally unsupertitious person. So, it was highly unlikely that Yu Fei will do superstitious stuff like putting curse on people. This made Yee Shun realised that Yu Fei was trying to test her.

Kidd November 14, 2005 at 6:49 PM  

Rebecca Chan looked very beautiful tonight with her elaborate costume and she did well, especially the scenes where she had a war of words with Sheren's Yu Fei. Any ordinary viewer who has yet to read any review may be fooled by her kind look and generous disposition. Of course to make Yu Fei look kind, the Empress must of course be evil. There is no other way around and I feel what a waste!

Why do u think it's a waste that the Empress is evil? I don't think the Empress is evil to make Yu Fei look kind. Sheren's status was not that high in TVB back then that the scripwriter need to make another character bad to make her look good. No one expected Sheren to become that popular after the series was aired. The Empress character was meant to be deceitful like Yuk Ying and other catfighting. Why is her being evil a waste and others not? I think her turning out to be evil is good. It shows how brilliantly deceitful this woman is (and how good Rebecca Chan's acting is) is that she can fool everyone to believe that she is truly nice. So convincing is her nice act that she makes a viewer complain again and again that she isn't truly nice (and put the blame on Yu Fei). :p

sehseh November 14, 2005 at 10:43 PM  

"Charmaine, it have been what? 3 years and you have yet to win the most favourite actress award! How do you feel? HOW DO YOU REALLY FEEL? Yesssssss....show THAT!".

Funn, you devil...

Make it "Charmaine, spare us the torture and expire Gigi, quick!"

Chuckles... Just kidding lah (but no harm entertaining my private thoughts... hehe)

Funn Lim November 15, 2005 at 3:34 AM  

Kidd, on the point of the effigy, your explanation doesn't explain how come Yu Fei can feel so happy with Yee Soon for not telling her about the horses. Because to Yu Fei Yee Soon does not have an agenda, she is soft and easily manipulated which means stupid. Wouldn't you feel more aware of a person if she doesn't tell you about the horses when she heard before that horses are bad sign? Doesn't that make this person cunning and therefore for Yu Fei she must be careful of Yee Soon? I still don't get it. Any further explanation? It doesn't explain how that would gain Yu Fei's trust.

As for the Empress, I said it was a waste because of 2 points;

1. I already know Yu Fei isn't that bad thanks to forum discussions so basically I am saying in retrospect kinda way

2. even if I didn't know, I know it would have ended that way.

I say it is a waste because to make the empress bad is only a way to redeem Yu Fei. We all know how mean Yu Fei is but this series will justify why and by justifying way I find it illogical. The Empress is already in that position of power, she has sons who will sit on the throne one day, why would she do what she did? This series is trying to show the Empress as well just human, she too have jealousy, she hates the arrogant Yu Fei for getting all the attention and usurping her power but in actual fact no one could. Even Cixi had to make sure she doesn't step on the toes of the empress, of course before she had the empress killed. I would have preferred the empress as a bystander, someone not involved because she didn't have to be involved anymore. She has the power, the political backing and the pedigree and the sons. I would have preferred two high ranking concubines killing each other, and the empress as someone who did little to solve the problem. That way not everybody is as deceitful.

Sheren Teng may not be that famous back then, but she is MORE famous than Rebecca Chan. No way can her Yu Fei be redeemed in the end if it doesn't show her that she has a reason to be a bully, that she did what she did to survive and to protect her own interest and since no one apart from the Empress in this story can threaten her, naturally the enemy and the bad person has to be the empress. It is done so not because of who is more famous but because the story dictates that way. Frankly I can't blame the empress for being so deceitful. Sometimes that Yu Fei can be very rude.

Sehseh, that is mean! Kill Gigi the actress or the character? I don't mind both but sadly, what's done been done. I pity Charmaine having to talk so close to that screaming godzilla. Her ears must have hurt!

Kidd November 15, 2005 at 5:38 AM  

Kidd, on the point of the effigy, your explanation doesn't explain how come Yu Fei can feel so happy with Yee Soon for not telling her about the horses. Because to Yu Fei Yee Soon does not have an agenda, she is soft and easily manipulated which means stupid. Wouldn't you feel more aware of a person if she doesn't tell you about the horses when she heard before that horses are bad sign? Doesn't that make this person cunning and therefore for Yu Fei she must be careful of Yee Soon? I still don't get it. Any further explanation? It doesn't explain how that would gain Yu Fei's trust.

My reasoning is that Yu Fei was not focus on the horse blanket. She was totally focus on whether Yee Shun will tell on her to the Empress or not. She most probably didn't put the issue with horse in her heart at all (because she is unspertitious), like she forget about the horses being bad luck. Remember, the fortune teller telling her about the bad luck horse was unplanned. It so happened that Yee Shun was there. So, she most probably didn't put her heart to it or take notice whether Yee Shun pay attention or remember the bad luck sign or not.

She was happy because Yee Shun didn't tell on her to the Empress. That proved Yee Shun's loyalty.

Kidd November 15, 2005 at 5:59 AM  

Funn, u forgot that the Emperor can choose his successor. The Empress's son or the first son won't neccessary be the Emperor. Her own husband, Emperor Jia Qing is also only a concubine's son.
The power of a beloved concubine is actually great. She can make the Emperor do a lot of things including making her own son the heir. Secondly, Yu Fei's family is no small potatoes. Yu Fei is also from an afleunce family. I remember someone said that Yu Fei and the Empress are actually from the same clan.

Yes, Yu Fei is currently very rude to the Empress. But it was the Empress own doing. If someone did what the Empress did to Yu Fei to me, I would hate that person forever. It is the Empress who wrong Yu Fei first. It's the Empress who made Yu Fei into that rude bullying person. Sr Suen once described Yu Fei when she first came to the place as 'Tin Jan Mo Che' i.e. totally innocent.

Funn Lim November 15, 2005 at 8:31 AM  

Kidd, I still don't get that whole horse blanket thing. Tell what exactly to the Empress? That she is not superstitious and therefore Yu Fei was pretending to be superstitious? I do not know how that is a test of loyalty. Surely the empress would know whether Yu Fei is superstitious or not, since an enemy will know an enemy's preferences. I still don't get it!!!!!!!

As for them empress and sons issue, yes favourite concubine can have a play at whether son will sit on throne or not but remember, in Yu Fei's case, the empress has I assume grown sons? Yu Fei has none. Surely the empress being as cunning as this series describe her to be must have her own clan, power and people, her only problem is Yu Fei is favoured by the Emperor. Imagine if the Emperor dies now, Yu Fei has no heir of her own so assuming the empress' son is Emperor. What do you think the empress will do to Yu Fei? Assuming Yu Fei is from same clan, has powers but how much against someone whose position is as secured as the Empress?

This is why Yu Fei is very scared of losing the Emperor's favour. Because her position is not secured at all whilst the empress, she has no fear, she is after all the empress and very rare an emperor will denounce an empress unless special circumstances. And remember also, even if she was the Emperor's favourite concubine, if she were to give birth to a son, the Empress has the right to take the son away to raise as her own claiming he needs to be educated.

This will not be the case if Yu Fei has 100% influence on the Emperor and from what I could see, one strand of white hair is enough to get the emperor running away from her. Basically i do understand why Yu Fei is very scared but what I can't understand is why the Empress must get involved in all the fights? Unless she came in the same time as Yu Fei, but from what I could see, the empress is much much much older. So I assume all these happened basically because the empress is someone who is "siu hei" or in english jealous and non conforming type. Which is rare since first of all, I am sure it was an arranged and forced marrige, maybe there was love, maybe no love, over the years she would have settled not for emperor's love but securing her son's future on the throne. Since Yu Fei has no son and won't look like she will have one, basically the empress has no reason to feel threatened. So basically the empress is just like you all said, plain evil.

On a side note, there are many instances where the emperor do value the opinion of the empress since I am sure she had him when he was very young, and maybe or maybe not a virgin, so the emotional attachment is there in a way.

Kidd November 15, 2005 at 10:45 AM  

Kidd, I still don't get that whole horse blanket thing. Tell what exactly to the Empress? That she is not superstitious and therefore Yu Fei was pretending to be superstitious? I do not know how that is a test of loyalty. Surely the empress would know whether Yu Fei is superstitious or not, since an enemy will know an enemy's preferences. I still don't get it!!!!!!!

Ok. Let me explain it step by step.

First clear your mind of the horse blanket stuff. Pretend that it doesn't exist. So, all that is left now is Yee Shen saw Po Shim burning something and holding the effigy with the Empress's birthdate. This is an act meant for Yee Shun to see. If Yee Shun go and tell the Empress about the effigy (as adviced by her god father), it will proof to Yu Fei that she is not loyal to Yu Fei. Since Yee Shun said nothing, that means she is loyal to Yu Fei (in Yu Fei's mind).

Now, we bring back the horse blanket issue. Yu Fei just heard the fortune-teller adviced Yu Fei that any item or people related to horse will be bad luck to the little princess. But when the eunuch brings the a blanket with horse figure in it to cover the little princess, Yu Fei totally doesn't care. If u are thinking that the horse blanket is also part of the test set up by Yu Fei, please purge this thought from your mind too. The horse blanket, like the fortune teller's warning is also unplanned. It is not planned by Yu Fei and NOT part of the test. Ok. let's get back on track. So, Yee Shun is going to follow her godfather's advice and tell the Empress about Yu Fei cursing her (which is a crime and Yu Fei can be punished for it). But then Yee Shun notices the bad luck blanket and how Yu Fei is totally uncaring that a blanket with horse image is covering her daughter. That means Yu Fei is not a supertitious person. So, it is illogical that Yu Fei will believe in stuff like putting curse on people. This makes Yee Shun realise that Yu Fei is testing her. The only purpose of the horse blanket is warning Yee Shun in time about Yu Fei's test. It's a stroke of good luck. Totally unplanned.

As for the Empress and Yu Fei's enmity, I'll let u see for yourself. Explaining too much will be spoiling too much for you. But I can tell u this. The Empress truly loves the Emperor and still do. There will be a scene in a later episode where the Empress says to the Emperor 'The other concubines just consider you as their master. I'm the only who consider you as a husband'.

Elizabeth December 3, 2005 at 2:13 AM  

Lets see the whole thing from Yee Shun's perspective. The Empress and Yu Fei are still fighting to get Yee Shun on their side. To keep safe from any attack from either side, she has to act to be neutral between the wars of Yu Fei and the Empress.

If she starts yelling to Yu Fei get rid of the horses, then she would be telling the Empress that she is on Yu Fei's side, and thus induce attacks from the Empress. Sicne Yee Shun is plotting the downfall of Yu Fei, why make herself another enemy in the Empress?

The realistic Yu Fei doesn't care about the horses. She doens't know the taboo, and doesn't know that Yee Shun knows thw taboo. So whether Yee Shun tells her or not does not matter to her, but if she does, it could kill the relationship between the Empress and Yee Shun.

As for the Empress getting in the fights, She is not the first Empress so her son is not the eldest so she is at risk of a downfall, though her son has the best chances of succeeding the throne.

She has to protect her son's claim, as well as hee own. Being no 1 rank means even more cmpetition since everyone is trying to replace you. Take into account, the Empress is not in favour with the Emperor. the only thing left is her power.

If another concubines challeneges her power and wins, then she has lost everything. Imagine is Yu Fei gets a son. If the Emperor ever finds fault in the Empress, she coudl be disposed and be replaced. If you are thinking about the Empress' strong political back up (her family is from a line of generals), all high-ranked concubines comes from familes from the 3rd rank and aboove officials, so they can be a real challenge.

Besides, aside from being power-hungry, she is also jealous, Jealous of all these younger and prettier concubines who has the man she loves. She is angry that she has to share husband with all these women which does her no good, emotionally and politically.

I mena, she schemed all the way when she was of a lower-rank to the supreme Empress. Why stop now and get attacked?

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter