SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 18

This episode highlights the beginning of the fall of Bak Yeung, Yu Fei, the true colours of the Empress and the brilliance of Onn Sin. For fans of Onn Sin, this is a must watch episode though she appears towards the end.

I missed Episode 17, so when this episode started, Yee Soon found Po Shim drowned in the pond. She was shaken and screamed for help.

A pause here. I was informed by my mother that yesterday...

1. Po Shim was stealing stuff when she accidentally left behind the Buddha Jade Chan Song gave her and at that time Yu Fei was bathing. Rumours had it that some monk was in Yu Fei's room, thus this damaged Yu Fei's reputation.

2. Po Shim was coerced by the Empress to tell that exact lie but I wasn't sure if she did or not. But I think she didn't as Yu Fei took her back, really beat her up and starved her.

3. Eunuch Tsui told Yee Soon to take food to Po Shim and poison her, so to make Yu Fei look really bad. Yee Soon couldn't do it, instead she agreed to help Po Shim to run away from the palace.

4. So she was supposed to meet with Po Shim by the pond to give her some money to run away but well, as this episode started, Po Shim was mysteriously killed. Question is of course who killed her (I bet the Empress asked her men to do it to make Yu Fei look bad so that the rumour of her being with a man can be true since Yu Fei would have reasons to kill her) but the real question is why kill off Po Shim the character? Such a waste. I thought Po Shim could aid Hung Mo who will aid Onn Sin to rise in the ranks since Po Shim knows so many things, she simply knows stuff. She would be a valuable spy. Unfortunately the writer could not see beyond women fighting women and in revealing the ultimate evil person, the Empress which is starting to become very stale and boring. I am like half expecting when is the Empress gonna really do the bad deed to everyone, when when when?!?!

5. One question I can't answer. What happened between Chan Song and Hung Mo in episode 17 that Chan Song hated Hung Mo so much?

So continue with tonight's episode.

The Empress was very worried about Yee Soon, Yu Fei quickly came around only to find the Empress there. They were arguing who can take care of Yee Soon and probably Yu Fei si afraid the empress may yield some power over Yee Soon. Then the emperor arrived and th emperor questioned Yu Fei what happened and Yu Fei said Po Shim killed herself over the smuggling of goods out of the palace incident. The Emperor looked pleased with the answer but wasn't pleased with the many controversies in the palace. The Empress quickly suggested that the emperor allow Yee Soon to move into the I think Emperor's quarters and Yu Fei questioned why and the empress said the powers of the mighty dragon will heal Yee Soon sooner.

Later alone with the emperor, the empress apologised for the suggestion since no concubine of Yee Soon's status were allowed into that special chambers. The Emperor was not angry. And then the empress poked Yu Fei's back by saying she had tried to question Po Shim several times but stopped by Yu Fei. Yu Fei must have something to hide. The emperor became suspiscious.

The Emperor then went to see Yee Soon and Yee Soon herself kinda suggested that Po Shim could not have killed herself and that Po Shim was severely punished by Yu Fei over the stolen goods incident. The Emperor then asked Yee Soon "Do you think Yu Fei was lying?" and Yee Soon said "I can't answer that..." and the Emperor said "Of course, you're in no position to understand that".

The Emperor then went to see Yu Fei, asked everybody out and he said "Yu Fei, you know how important you're in my heart. That is why you can be honest with me" and Yu Fei looked offended and said "Be honest to your majesty? Is your majesty saying I lied to you?" and the Emperor said "Po Shim was just a mere servant. She is dead and there is nothing I can do about it. So if you could just be honest, I will forget what had happened and nothing will change" but Yu Fei protested her innocence and said "She killed herself! I did not lie. And if your majesty is not happy with my explanation, whatever I say will not matter. If so please then punish me instead" and the Emperor raised his voice and said "I am not saying I will punish you! I was just asking for the truth" and Yu Fei was in an argumentative mood and kept protesting her innocence and the Emperor became very fed up and said "I feel perhaps Yu Yuet yourself has been too burdened with your duties. Do not worry, I will promote Yee Soon to Kwai Yan and you can then rest" and he walked away and Yu Fei was exasperated and felt like the Emperor was slowly slipping away from her hands.

Next scene Yee Soon met with Eunuch Tsui and Eunuch Tsui had earlier taught her to suggest Yu Fei's involvement in Po Shim's death. Yee Soon then asked Tsui "Who killed Po Shim?" and Tsui said "Whoever killed her did us a huge favour. That person is the one who insisted you move here" and Yee Soon said "The Empress? Should we now worry about the Empress?" and Tsui said "She is not our worry just yet. Let her be Yu Fei's worries first" and Yee Soon silently obeyed Tsui's instruction.

But the Emperor could not forget about Yu Fei when Yu Fei asked someone to send over a gift specially made for the Emperor. Yee Soon was there. The Empress quickly said "Your majesty, should I order the servant to get ready with the transport?" and the Emperor said "What?" and the Empress said "I know your majesty is merely human, I can understand that but your majesty, you have decided to punish dear sister and your majesty is the Emperor, the ruler whose orders must be obeyed. If your majesty go to her now, imagine what would your subjects think of you..." and the Emperor reluctantly agreed and told the eunuch to return the gift to Yu Fei.

Yu Fei was shocked to see the return of the gift. When the eunuch (the empress' eunuch) said it was ordered that he can take a few of Yu Fei's servants to help out with some preparation of some celebration, Yu Fei angrily said "On whose order who dares to take my servants away?" and the eunuch said "The Emperor himself" and Yu Fei said "You're saying his majesty or are you saying the Empress?" and the eunuch arrogantly and curtly replied "Does it matter Yu Fei? As long as it is not your orders and you're in no position to give orders anymore." Yu Fei stared at him and the eunuch said "I apologise for the inappropriate remark my lady. I have to take my leave...". Yu Fei was boiling inside.

Bak Yeung meanwhile was called together with another senior doctor to diagnose Yee Soon. Bak Yeung was of the opinion Yee Soon was ok already, her illness under control and she was getting better. But the senior doctor disagreed and said Yee Soon was still not well. The Empress was very angry with two differing views whilst Suen Senior said nothing. Yee Soon quickly stood up and said "Dr Suen Bak Yeung has always taken good care of me, I am sure his disagnosis is accurate" but the Empress wasn't listening.

When the Empress was alone with Suen Senior, she revealed why she wasn't pleased with Bak Yeung's diagnosis. She implied it doesn't matter what was the diagnosis, she was more concerned in whose loyalty does the two doctors who gave the diagnosis lie. Senior Suen was unable to comment on that as the Empress asked for his opinion and he said nothing and the Empress curtly said "Dr Suen, please do not be a hypocrite in front of me".

Suen Senior then went home and Bak Yeung was hiding in the corner as he looked at Hau Shu sitting alone waiting for Senior Suen to come home. When he did, Hau Shu quickly walked to Senior Suen and Senior Suen knew what she was thinking and said loudly "You're waiting for my news on Bak Yeung is it not?" My son does not know how lucky he is to have you as his wife, you have shown much concern for him" and Bak Yeung heard that he felt a bit guilty for treating his wife like shit. When he emerged, Hau Shu quickly greeted him happily.

Once alone with Bak Yeung, Senior Suen was very angry. Bak Yeung asked "Why you didn't concur with my diagnosis? You know that other doctor is a fluke, he doesn't even know medicine, he is a fake doctor!" Senior Suen said "At first I thought so too but after today I realise you're the fluke doctor!" and Bak Yeung was confused and Senior Suen angrily explained "I do not know how much more I can protect you. I may have transferred you but I do not know how effective that will be. Bak Yeung, do you know realise what you're done? The problem is not with the patient nor the diagnosis. The one with the illness is not Yee Soon but the Empress herself. She is not satisfied with you, you! What more can I do for you? It has finally led to this..." and Bak Yeung sadly could not say anything.

A pause here. Unlike that horse blanket incident which until now still baffles me, this is much simpler. The Empress simply could not acept Bak Yeung's diagnosis because she could not trust him. In her eyes he is Yu Fei's man, so she has blacklisted Bak Yeung. So now Bak Yeung himself is as out of power and out of favour as Yu Fei. Bak Yeung sadly realised that and he is contemplating leaving the palace.

So he was alone. His assistant was being made to do all the chores and so he volunteered to prepare the medicine which he never had to do before. Onn Sin walked by and Onn Sin greeted Bak Yeung. Onn Sin gently smiled and said "Your problem shall pass, and it will be soon when you will rise again, don't you worry" and Bak Yeung smiled. Onn Sin was here to take medicine for Yuk Ying but actually she asked Bak Yeung "Since Yu Fei is no longer in power, how long must Yuk Ying be sick?" and Bak Yeung smiled and sadly said "You're helping her?" and Onn Sin said "Since my grandmother's death, I have nothing to hold me back anymore. It is only appropriate I help Yuk Ying, I do not want her to end up like me" (meaning she recognise Yuk Ying's virtue that is loving her mother enough to do all these and she doesn't want Yuk Ying yto rot in there never to achieve her dreams). Bak Yeung smiled and said "She has indeed changed a lot. Unfortunately, I am in no position to say she is cured. You do realise I am rarely at the medical dept and I am afraid I can't help Yuk Ying at this time" and Onn Sin gently accepted his explanation. And then Hung Mo came and gave to Bak Yeung 100 pieces of silver as payment for Bak Yeung's payment for Chan Song's debt.

Must pause here. Earlier, Hung Mo rescued Chan Song from being beaten to death by loan sharks. Chan Song hated Hung Mo, accusing Hung Mo of helping THAT woman (that is Onn Sin) and caused Chan Song to lose his job (I still do not know how and why since I missed last night's episode). Hung Mo wanted to help but instead Chan Song saw Bak Yeung and quickly kneel before Bak Yeung and begged Bak Yeung to help. Bak Yeung helped pay the debt and Chan Song went away after Hung Mo told him to stop begging and Chan Song refused. Then Bak Yeung tried to advise Hung Mo something but Hung Mo shot back "You're hardly in a better state than I am. I heard you lost your power and your luck" and Bak Yeung said "Why not we try our luck? See whose luck is better? If yours is better I will say no more" and Bak Yeung threw the dice and it was a 5. Hung Mo simply threw the dice and it was a 6! Bak Yeung smiled and Hung Mo said "You hold true to your words. If such is the case, look after Chan Song for me" and Bak Yeung agreed.

Thus when Hung Mo gave him the money Hung Mo reminded Bak Yeung about his promise.

But Hung Mo wasn't happy Onn Sin was talking so much with Bak Yeung and asked Onn Sin "You known him well? Ahhh I didn't ask that. I better go..". Is he dating Onn Sin?

Anyway he still dislikes Bak Yeung but I think Bak Yeung treats him like a friend.

Then Bak Yeung went to see a much subdued and happier Yuk Ying who was very happy to see Bak Yeung. She didn't blame Bak Yeung who was unable to say she is cured and she in fact gave him words of encouragement and said he will rise again one day. Meanwhile she was painting a lantern with words and Bak Yeung asked why she is doing this and Yuk Ying said "It's going to be the (I believe) the blessing night soon and Onn Sin told me to make this myself to release it later that night in the garden" and Bak Yeung thought for a while and then suddenly nodded and smiled and said "Yuk Ying, Onn Sin is indeed the palace's most intelligent and cunning servant. You're very lucky to have her serve you and I have no doubt she could assist you in achieving your dreams, I believe I myself may not have that capabilities!" and Yuk Ying was quite confused. I was too but then we will know why...

It was blessing night and the Empress was there with the Emperor. Then the Emperor saw a lot of prayers written on papers hung along the pavement and the Emperor enquired the Tibetan Monks who did this and the Emperor said "Yu Fei did all these your majesty, to ask for blessing on your majesty's behalf" and the Emperor was very touched. He still loves Yu Fei. The Empress was not pleased and asked the Emperor whether he should leave for his chambers now but the Emperor said "No, I wish to be alone" whilst looking at the papers fondly. The Empress left, leaving her two servants to watch over the Emperor. On the way out she saw Yu Fei and she said "Why are you still hiding my sister? The Emperor has left" and Yu Fei arrogantly greeted the Empress and they had a few moments of word sparring but the Empress kinda lost because she knew Yu Fei knew that the Emperor still cares for Yu Fei. Angrily the Empress left and was walking through the garden when she saw Yuk Ying with her elaborately styled hair with golden flickering dangling thing running after her lantern of blessing and taking it. The Empress asked who she was and Yuk Ying said "Yuk Ying" and the servant said "The sick one? Why are you running around if you were sick?" and Yuk Ying said "I am well my lady. I am no longer sick. I am here to release the lantern of blessing" and the Empress sniggered "No doubt this lantern is filled with the words of blessing and I have no doubt this is for the Emperor? Well his majesty is not here to see this so I guess your effort may have been wasted". Yuk Ying looked innocently at the Empress and said "No my lady, I didn't do this for the Emperor. I did this as a blessing for my lady yourself, as you have been busy taking care of the concubines, it must have been a hectic work, I hope only to ease your burden by wishing you well and asking for blessings on your behalf". The Empress was shocked (ME TOO! Onn Sin soooooo smart) and complimented her on her elaborate hairdo and Yuk Ying said "Oh it is styled by Siu Luk Tzi but there is no one to see at the place I am at. However if my lady were to wear this, I am sure you will look marvelous" and the Empress said "Ahhhh tonight I have so many compliments, first by Yu Fei and now you. I don't think I appreciate such compliments" and the Empress left. Yuk Ying was very disappointed at the Empress' negative respond when suddenly the Empress turned back and curtly said "The night is cold, and you're not in proper clothes. Go back to your room before you catch a cold".

When the empress left, Onn Sin came out and smiled happily. Yuk Ying said "I don't think she likes me even when I complimented her And the Emperor didn't see this lantern" and Onn Sin said "I never expected the Emperor to see this lantern, after all the Empress is by his side, she will never allow him to. And only the Empress will cross this path in the garden. This is wonderful outcome. Don't you see? She showed her concern to you before she left. This is indeed a success" and Yuk Ying was glad to hear that.

Tomorrow...I think more on Yu Fei's downfall and more on how Yee Soon tried to stop Yuk Ying (out of jealousy I guess) and how Onn Sin tries to help Yuk Ying some more.

Tonight's episode is special to me because Onn Sin after having accepted her grandma's death has risen to the occasion and is now more involved in the fight. She is now officially aiding Yuk Ying, not for power or for betting on the right horse (if that is the case she would have helped Yee Soon) but because out of the goodness of her heart that she believed Yuk Ying needs help and she sees Yuk Ying's love for her mother like the same as her love for her grandma. I like this change of direction and I like Onn Sin even more.

Yuk Ying is very lucky. She has Onn Sin and even Bak Yeung at her side. Surely will rise to power, problem now is getting Yee Soon out of the way.

Most memorable scene I guess has to be the argument between Bak Yeung and his father as the reality of the situation began to sink into Bak Yeung who clearly lost control.

I still don't like Yu Fei.

Best costume, the Empress definitely. Her head gear is so impressive. Yee Soon's dress is also nice and Yu Fei's costume is nice too in a less elaborate way than the Empress.

Performance wise, tonight someone has the honour of topping Gigi Lai as the worst ever and that is Yu Yeung. Seriously why this man? Why him? He doesn't have an ounce of royal dignified look in him and it is frustrating that in more emotional scenes he was well, amateur.

Gigi Lai was no godzilla tonight but a bit like Sailormoon instead, as in cartoonish. Her best and most well acted scenes are with Bowie Lam and Maggie Cheung but that scene with the Empress, where she was explaning the head gear was so fake. I know she is pretending to be chatty with the Empress but must that be so over the top type of fakeness? Notice the way she twisted her body to show her headgear, that is enough to make me said this woman is overacting. But tonight at least she is tolerable.

The third worst actor had to be Moses Chan. He was great when next to Maggie Cheung, but when he had to be angry and dramatic, he just didn't cut. But I like Moses Chan and I can't see anyone else as Hung Mo right now. Moses Chan may play a thug or evil man or a street person of uneducated guard, but there is something about his manners and the way he moves that betrays that part of him; he just give me an impression he is a gentleman through and through. So basically I really like Hung Mo because I really like Moses Chan the person. As an actor, he fails. Anyway Hung Mo is now my favourite male character, Bak Yeung second.

Charmaine Sheh was ok, a bit subdued today since she had to do all the conniving work in a more subtle way but she simply had this tragic look all the time that is rather limiting her facial expression. Her eyes simply did not shine with cunning conniving way when telling the Emperor that Yu Fei may not be very truthful after all.

Maggie Cheung...what more can I say? Refer to my comments in episode 1 to episode 14 and I simply confirm my every word of her. Onn Sin is still my most favourite character in here. However I like to see how grandma's death connects with the Empress. DON'T TELL ME! I WANNA SEE FOR MYSELF!

Bowie Lam was great. He has relaxed a bit and got used to his dialogue.

Chan Hung Lit was good, can understand his cantonese better now.

Rebecca Chan so pretty, so grand looking and her performance, her every deceitful look, every hurt, very very good performance. I believe the best for the veteran.

Sheren Teng is still in either Arrogant mode or I can't believe I can lose to that Empress mode. Rather limited and her Yu Fei is still not showing her personality, I am getting bored with her. Performance wise, due to the limitations of her character, Sheren didn't show much but she did well in more emotional scenes. But I find Rebecca Chan's subtle performance more commanding and better than Sheren Teng's Yu Fei.

Who else?

Ahhh no one else. Really a pity Po Shim died. So the story has shifted again, this time to The Usual Stuff-ville. The writer should have strived to make a more multi faceted and more smaller people involved in larger schemes type of scenario. Let's face it; the concubines can only get that far on their own; they can't be everywhere at once and so the servants are their hands, mouth and ears. Imagine if the most knowledgeable servant helps another? Onn Sin is helping Yuk Yung type of situation. I would have hoped Hung Mo ruthlessly uses Po Shim's feelings for him to help get information to topple Yu Fei to aid Onn Sin but no such case. Moreover it will be very out of character of Hung Mo. He may be ambitious but he is not ruthless in that way.

Can't believe 18 episodes already and still non-moving. The plot must move faster...





- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

2 comments:

Kidd November 16, 2005 at 5:42 PM  

Unlike that horse blanket incident which until now still baffles me, this is much simpler.

What? I explain it so detailedly in epi 16, and u still don't get it (or maybe u have not even read that last post yet)? I give up.

As for the Emperor being not good looking. Well, if the Emperor is played by Kong Wah, will Suen Bak Yeung and Hung Mo still attract so many attention from the fairer sex? :p

Someone once mentioned in a forum that he/she (the poster) thinks they purposely cast an old and not good looking guy as the Emperor to show that how pathetic the life of the concubines is. They fight toe and nail for an undesirable man they don't love because he is the only man that can give them power and good life in the palace and he is the only man they can ever have.

Funn Lim November 17, 2005 at 3:47 AM  

Kidd, I did read your post I swear but somehow it doesn't compute. The only way it computes is that take out the horse blanket incident and leave just the effigy incident I totally understand. But i still don't get how not warning yu fei about that blanket can get yu fei's trust?

As for the emperor, the truth is, real emperors weren't even good looking. Imagine you have Chu Yuen Cheung (Ming's 1st emperor) as the emperor? Famous for being UGLY and was a beggar so probably uneducated ah beng as well. But I totally understand why cast an old man in this role BUT doesn't mean I can stomach it. I mean why not wong wai?

As for kong wah, it is not a matter of whether who is more good looking. The emperor got their full attention simply because of power (even if he looks like a toad) and imagine you're just one of his 3000 concubines, so I am sure there must be time when very lonely so falling for the doctor or the guard is forseeable as you may see them more than the emperor!

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter