SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 20

Hmmmm Yee Soon really really channelled all her energy in hating Yuk Ying and unintentionally making herself look bad in front of the one person she craves and that is Bak Yeung. But I do in away sympathise with her because it's not fair! See the head count ok...

Yee Soon - Eunuch Tsui (1)
Yuk Ying - Onn Sin, Siu Luk Tzi, Bak Yeung AND Hung Mo (4)

Not fair really. But Yuk Ying is like stupid and helpless and deserved to be helped I guess. Onn Sin helps Yuk Ying because she felt a connection with Yuk Ying in their strong love for their loved ones, Siu Luk Tzi helps Yuk Ying because he loves Onn Sin, Hung Mo also same and Bak Yeung because he loves Yuk Ying. And Yee Soon hates Yuk Ying because Bak Yeung loves Yuk Ying and also Tsui asked her to get rid of Yuk Ying.

Hung Mo saved the emperor and Bak Yeung when that assassin's knife was inches away from Bak Yeung's throat who was shielding the emperor. The assassin was no assassin but TVB's great setup for the promotion of Hung Mo and Bak Yeung, a lame excuse. Well actually he was a disgruntled kitchen employee scolded by his boss and somehow he just got really mad, took a cleaver, walked ALLLLLLL the way from the kitchen straight into the Emperor's unguarded office room and started to well do what he did. Amazing right? Anyway just take it as it is and yes, Hung Mo got promoted to become a guard by the Emperor's side but will sit and wait in the Medical dept because Emperor's room is near that (a deliberate geographical necessity?) and I think but don't take my word for it, he became a 3rd ranked officer? Couldn't be since still a guard but his dress then looked very grand, so I guess maybe really 3rd ranked. Bak Yeung was appointed I think as the vice-chief of medical dept with again don't take my word for it, 6th ranked officer? Aiyahhhh very difficult to listen to that dialogue. Bak Yeung didn't look too pleased to get promoted since he planned to leave remember? And Hung Mo didn't look pleased too though that was what he wanted or maybe simply Chan Ho's inadequate acting. Anyway at the same time like to show some classy type of filming technique, Chan Song waited for Hung Mo by the bridge in cold snowy weather. Hung Mo promised to get him some money so that he can "balik kampung" literally and so Hung Mo took back the money from Bak Yeung who said he returned the money paid by Hung Mo to take care of Chan Song to him because he didn't do a good job at taking of Chan Song. Hung Mo was half a day later and by the time he reached the bridge, Chan Song was...guess guess guessssss...GONE. Yeah, who would wait half a day!

Next, Yee Soon with the emperor attending to the Tibetan Lama or monks, which I believe are the most defamed monks in Chinese TV series' history because they're weird, have cult like status and easily corrupted. Same here. Yee Soon pretended to fanit a bit and the Emperor was quite concerned and Yee Soon's maid kinda implicated that ever since Yuk Ying moved into her place Yee Soon was feeling faint and unwell. The monk then asked for her birthdate and Yuk Ying's birthdate and indeed, they were of similar year BUT had two opposite influence on one another where one must die before the other lives so to speak. The monk said there will be a great tragedy where one of them will be very hurt but once this almost tragic stuff happened, their relationship will be fine again. Emperor said "You mean one of them has to go for both to live?" and Yee Soon quickly said "Oh no, she's my sister, that will never happen, we will look see". Hung Mo heard it all as he was there to. So Hung Mo told Onn Sin who was thinking and thinking and then finally she knew.

She ran to Yuk Ying with a blanket and said to Yuk Ying "Master, we have no time. Don't ask, just do..." and Onn Sin did what she set out to do.

Meanwhile Yee Soon was walking towards that shrine when she saw Tsui and she said to Tsui "Oh Eunuch Chui, leaving? Have you finished what you set out to do?" and Tsui said "Yes my lady, I have finished and my lady, perhaps you might consider looking up" and Yee Soon smiled and walked away. Code! You will know what they were talking later...

Yee Soon was walking into the shrine with the Emperor and Hung Mo was following them. Behind a huge pillar was a man but don't know who he was. Then Onn Sin explained what was Yee Soon's plan.

The prediction was Yuk Ying has to go for Yee Soon to live. So when Yee Soon led the Emperor into the shrine, I think that big board on top bearing the motifs of a dragon and a phoenix will fall and Yee Soon will bravely puch the emperor away and save his life. With this the prediction will become real and the Emperor will become very wary of Yuk Ying and might even kick her out or kill her. At that crucial moment an eunuch ran in and said "Your majesty! Your majesty! **** is on fire!". Please replace **** with the name of Yee Soon's residence because I can't remember. The Emperor rushed back and so Yee Soon's plan gone awry.

Once there the Emperor saw a rather wet and cold Yuk Ying wrapped in a red blanket with a very ashen looking Onn Sin. Onn Sin said *** was on fire and luckily Yuk Ying escaped and at the right moment the blanket fell and the emperor saw motifs of the phoenix. The Emperor then thought Yuk Ying was the destined one to have blocked the curse that the monk was talking about. But the Emperor said "I thought it was Yee Soon who was supposed to be hurt" and Hung Mo piped in and said "The prediction said either one of them and so it could be Yuk Ying as well. Whatever it may be the prediction came through and from now on Yee Soon and Yuk Ying will live in harmony since the worst has passed as predicted" and Yee Soon wasn't pleased and said "For someone as quiet as you were you certainly had a lot to say" but the Emperor accepted Hung Mo's story and was glad Yuk Ying was ok.

Yuk Ying was very happy to have Onn Sin by her side but she was looking for that painting of her and her mother and Onn Sin said she kept it away before setting the place on fire. Opened the cupboard but alas the painting was gone! Yuk Ying immediately knew it was Yee Soon's doing and she marched right up there and said "Where is my painting?" and Yee Soon was saying "Painting? What are you talking about?" and Yuk Ying was in tears and angrily said "The painting of my mother and I. You know how important it is to me. I never knew you could be a thief! Give it back to me!" and Yee Soon said "I didn't take it. But of course you have your very smart maid by your side who planned everything. Do you (speaking to Onn Sin) really think you're so smart?" and it was almost argument point with Onn Sin asking Yuk Ying to let it go, that their rivalry has been settled by that fake prediction at last and Yuk Ying angrily walked back to her room. Bak Yeung was outside.

Bak Yeung was there to check Yee Soon's pulse and then he quietly and gently said "If Soon Kwai Yan would like to look at paintings, I have a few good ones in my house which I can bring to Soon Kwai Yan" and Yee Soon was like "Excuse me?" and Bak Yeung said "That painting is her life. Perhaps Soon Kwai Yan may consider giving it back to her?" and Yee Soon said "If it was my painting I do wonder would you have done the same for me as you're doing for Yuk Ying" and then Yee Soon said "Perhaps you have been talking too much on her behalf. You might think that I took it. You might think that I am nothing but a despicable heartless person" and Bak Yeung said "I never thought of you that way" and Yee Soon said "Well I am a despicable heartless person as they all said I am. So what if I did take it? What if I took it and burnt it? What can you do?". Bak Yeung then took his leave and Yee Soon was hurt but said nothing.

That night at Heung Fau's, Bak Yeung was drawing that painting from his memory. Heung Fau teased him that "You could draw her every gesture, every details by memory, she must be very important in your heart" and Bak Yeung was like "What? No...I am seeing her often which is why I can remember" and at the same time Hau Shu at home was looking at the painting of Bak Yeung's mom and said "This painting is so lifelike, so magnificent. Husband must have drawn every detail and gesture of mother" and Senior Suen said "Oh yes, Bak Yeung was always a good painter but he paints those who is important to him in his heart. His mother was important to him and he drew this after her death but he could remember every detail" and back to Bak Yeung and after he finished, Heung Fau teasingly hugged him with her back facing his chest and asked him "So on which part of my face do I have a birthmark?" and Bak Yeung doubted for a second and then Heung Fai said "You see me every day and yet you do not know I do not have any birthmarks on my face. That lady, Yuk Ying must be very important to you but he is the Emperor's woman..." and Bak Yeung looked sad.

Then Bak Yeung was there to see Yuk Ying and Yuk Ying gave him a golden pouch as a thank you for everything he had done and Yuk Ying found out through Siu Luk Tzi that the Emperor asked the Empress whether Yuk Ying was well or not and Onn Sin knew this meant the Emperor was asking whether he can sleep with her or not. Yuk Ying was very happy but Bak Yeung wasn't. As he stood looking gloomy he looked out and he saw Yee Soon looking at him intently. She knew he knew that she knew what he knew. He was in love with Yuk Ying. Yuk Yin of course didn't know.

Then Bak Yeung went and saw Fook Nga and whilst he was talking, he accidentally spilt wine on his clothes and he quickly got up to brush it and then he panicked, thinking he dropped the golden pouch and he searched himself for a few moments and when he saw the pouch in his pocket he was smiling again. Fook Nga smilingly said "Whoever gave this pouch to you must be very important in your heart" and Bak Yeung sadly said "I'd rather I have no strong feelings for this person. The stronger the feelings the harder I am to let go and the harder it is for me to accept the unevitable".


Then at night off Yuk Ying went wrapped in a blanket and she happily slept on his bed waiting for him.

Meanhile Chan Song found out Po Shim died (never knew he didn't know but Hung Mo didn't want to upset him) and Chan Song angrily said to Hung Mo "You promised we will get rich together and that you will never lie to me. Now I am out of the palace because you ratted on me and Po Shim stealing palace stuff and you lied to me about her death. From this moment onwards you and I are no longer brothers. I do not wish to see you ever again and if I do I'll make sure you will suffer!"

Bak Yeung was having wine alone in his office when Hung Mo passed by and Hung Mo walked in and joined Bak Yeung. Bak Yeung said "I envy you. You have at least Onn Sin, one whom you could start a family of your own with ..." and Hung Mo said "Family? My parents are dead, the only brother I know of broke all ties with me and Onn Sin said she will not decide her own future until and unless Yuk Ying's position becomes stable and that will take a long time, I can't start preparing now for my own family" and Bak Yeung said "You can start preparing for your family. The Emperor asked for Yuk Ying tonight" and Hung Mo smiled widely and said "Here! Cheers to lovers united" and Bak Yeung reluctantly drank to that toast.

Meanwhile the Emperor was having tea with the Empress when the eunuch ran in and cried "Your majesty! Soon Kwai Yan is missing! We found only her shoe by the pond!" and the Emperor panicked and said "It's cold out there, the pond has become ice! Look for her! Now!" and he went to find her and the eunuch was searching whilst Yuk Ying waited and waited. And then the Emperor was informed Yee Soon was at the temple and the Emperor went to see her and Yee Soon looking rather pitiful said "You majesty, I should be punished for making you so worried. I wanted to pray for your majesty's good health as I know how busy you were but I didn't want anyone to know. I was told for sincerity I must leave a shoe behind and I must have forgotten about it. Your majesty please punish me" and the emperor was touched and said nothing more.

Yuk Ying was then told the emperor had gone to meet the ministers as it was morning and so Yuk Ying returned to her room still a virgin. Onn Sin came running out to greet Yuk Ying thinking Yuk Ying slept with the Emperor. Yuk Ying was looking gloomy and Onn Sin knew and asked "What happened?" and Yuk Ying saw Yee Soon and she screamed (Godzilla moment) "YOU! YOU DID THIS! WHY? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS? WHY??" and Yee Soon said "Why? Do you think by thwarting my plans you can get into the Emperor's bed? For as long as I am here, you will never get near the Emperor" and Onn Sin pulled Yuk Ying away. Once inside Yuk Ying was crying frustratingly whilst looking at her mother's potrait and she cried some more and Onn Sin could only look on.

For the next few days the Emperor never asked for Yuk Ying. Yuk Ying wondered if it was Yee Soon's doing and Onn Sin tried to calm her down but she could not eat and looking gloomy always. Bak Yeung came and he knew what happened. Yuk Ying was very sad and angry at the same time and said "What am I to do? Am I supposed to snatch the emperor to my side?" and Bak Yeung said "Snatch? Yuk Ying, perhaps you should look at another angle. The Emperor has many concubines but who can stand out? It is not snatching Yuk Ying. The Emperor is not for you to snatch but he is your husband and if you show that you genuinely care for him and love him, I am sure his majesty will know. And even if he doesn't, at least you have loved and lost before rather than those who never did loved before" and he was thinking about himself and Yuk Ying. Yuk Ying smiled (a bit prematurely but that is because of bad acting) and said "Thank you sir. You're right...thank you" and Bak Yeung felt a bit relieved that Yuk Ying is ok. And then whilst talking, he found out the Emperor was lately feeling rather unwell, very tired and Bak Yeung wondered why. He checked the Emperor's medical records and found something odd. He went to confront Yee Soon.

Yee Soon saw him coming and she knew he was coming for her though his excuse was he was on his way to see Fook Nga and so he joined Yee Soon who was on her way too. Then Bak Yeung said "Soon Kwai Yan, I have some matters to consult you. It has always been the case for concubines to fight one another for the emperor's attention with all devious methods but if you must do so, please do not gamble with the Emperor's health" and Yee Soon was like "I do not know what you're implying Dr Suen" and Bak Yeung said "I know you have been giving something to the Emperor that made him feel tired all the time. More so Eunuch Tsui is the one preparing the herbs. Please do not gamble with the Emperor's health as this rivalry is between you and Yuk Ying alone" and Yee Soon sarcastically said "You care very much for Yuk Ying to do her every bidding" and Bak Yeung said "I care for the emperor and his health. If you wish to continue what you're doing now you have my word that I will do everything in my power to stop you" and Yee Soon said "If you must...".

Bak Yeung then was with Fook Nga and he was looking worried. Fook Nga asked "Is something bothering you?" and Bak Yeung said "Suppose you know someone who is doing something she shouldn't be doing. You know the solution is to expose her but that will bring her harm and the other solution is to do nothing but that is not right. What would you have done?" and Fook Nga thoughtfully said "For the fact that you said it will bring her harm meant this person is a good person in your eyes. Other than these 2 methods, there must be a 3rd method, a 3rd solution" and Bak Yeung was thinking hard and then he knew...

He met with the Emperor the next day I think and he was advising the Emperor, "Your majesty, you have been feeling very tired lately physically and I believe this too is because of an emotional issue" and the Emperor said "I am feeling very tired and unwell. Is something wrong with the medicine?" and Bak Yeung said "Oh no, you can continue to take the medicine but I know just the right medicine for your emotional issue" and the Emperor said "The right medicine?" and Bak Yeung pointed towards an eunuch and lo and behold, the eunuch took the hat off and it was Yuk Ying disguised as an eunuch and sweetly said "Your majesty" and .. the end.

Next 5 episodes, we see Yuk Ying sleeping with the Emperor and Yee Soon said to Bak Yeung "How does it feel to give the woman you love to another man?" and then we have Onn Sin saying "If I were to die first I will ensure the empress will die before me!" and she seduced the emperor, slept with him and Yuk Ying screaming "How could you! I thought you were my friend! How can you betray me!" and then Yee Soon said "Onn Kwai Yan I have something to discuss with you" and Yu Fei said "It is not for you nor I to dispose off the Empress" to Onn Sin and Yuk Ying screaming at Onn Sin and said "Onn Kwai Yan, IF YOU DO HARM TO SUEN BAK YEUNG I SWEAR!!! I SWEAR YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A PEACEFUL DAY EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and so the end of preview.

Ohhhhhhh so exciting for Yu Yeung the man who can boast I have slept with them all!! I don't like Onn Sin becoming a concubine anymore as opposed to what I said many episodes before. Too crowded already and too melodramatic. Anyway I will wait for that moment to come to comment fully on that.

Plot wise today is like Yee Soon VS Yuk Ying helped by Onn Sin and gang. I really dislike Yee Soon tonight because she simply tried much too hard to be so mean and bitchy to Yuk Ying and she knew she was bitchy because everytime Bak Yeung looked at her in a very "How could you?" way she looked pained, hurt, whatever. So why persist so openly? Her rivalry with Yuk Ying is like an open book.

Yuk Ying is thus far becoming a different type of character. She is not that mean a person, not that smart and frankly not as cunning as Yee Soon. Onn Sin has settled nicely as the smartest one thus far.

Oh no Yu Fei for 2 days already I think. Don't miss her.

Anyway where was I? This episode is like cat and mouse game. Interesting but very little substance. It's more about bitching with one another. The substance came from moments of observations by other characters, like Heung Fau teasing Bak Yeung. I think that will be my most memorable scene tonight, the one where Heung Fau asked Bak Yeung to guess on which side of her face was her birthmark. The character Bak Yeung is growing as a character so to speak.

Not much comment on the plot tonight.

Performances wise, special mention must be made to Charmaine Sheh for looking rather "I don't care" type of expression but really she just look like a woman scorned in a very nice way. I feel she should have been more cruel looking when she is with Yuk Ying but she looked rather like smart aleck only. Must have more ommpphhh to the expression. But anyway she was ok. Nothing too taxing on her tonight.

Gigi Lai did one scene very well and that was looking at the potrait and crying. The rest she was like acting. Really! She acts like she is acting. Definitely no surprises.

Maggie ok. Not much to say.

Moses' best scenes are with Maggie and Bowie but when alone his performance is rather weak. Very tired to repeat the same thing.

For a moment I thought Bowie was back to reciting lines again but a scene he did very well was that one when he looked very sad when Yuk Ying found out the Emperor asked whether she was well enough to sleep with him. That expression was just right. In the end a good performance. I thought yesterday he was better.

Just to clarify a few questions;

1. Yee Soon definitely took the painting and what she did with it? Dunno.
2. Yuk Ying never knew Bak Yeung drew that painting for her.
3. Yuk Ying still does not realise Bak Yeung loves her.
4. Heung Fau is Bak Yeung's lover.

Frankly I have not much comments for this episode. Because I wrote this in a very tired state.








- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

1 comments:

sehseh November 20, 2005 at 2:03 AM  

1. Yee Soon definitely took the painting and what she did with it? Dunno.

Answer: Yes. She will 'return' it later in the series. My favorite moment so I won't want to spoil you. *I'm evil*

2. Yuk Ying never knew Bak Yeung drew that painting for her.

Answer: No. Refer to Answer 1.

3. Yuk Ying still does not realise Bak Yeung loves her.

Answer: Yes. Refer to Answer 2.

4. Heung Fau is Bak Yeung's lover.

Answer: A big YES.

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter