SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 8

A good episode in two ways; the characters begin to take shape and have real personalities instead of just scheming and I am beginning to understand why Gigi Lai overacts which in her definition may not be overacting. First the recap. Not much happened today but enough for significant stuff to take shape for future episodes.

Strangely today did not start with the fate of Sook Ling. In fact this series has a habit of dispensing with characters like used tissues; once served its purpose you are not bothered at all how you discard with the said tissue. I find that disappointing because first there is no real closure as everything happened through narration and you must pay extra attention if not you will miss that narration, mostly a one line comment and also because of no consistency with the next scene. So what happened to Sook Ling? As later told by Eunuch Tsui, Sook Ling was banished from the palace and deemed a mad woman.

We start with Yuk Ying meeting Yu Fei in the garden. Yu Fei told her in her face that the fan Yuk Ying was holding was an insult to Yu Fei as it implies through the poem that Yu Fei's time was over and Yuk Ying's time was soon arriving. That was the hand held fan that Sook Ling changed earlier, though the scene was not shown BUT was narrated. Anyway, the camera suddenly focused on Yuk Ying's big doey eyes which was really filling up with big drops of tears and as Yu Fei said what would happen to Yuk Ying she cried and immediately knelt and begged for forgiveness for basically being stupid. But Yu Fei took the fan and threw it away and said to Yuk Ying she was cool with that fan and that Yuk Ying should be more careful in future as beautiful women do tend to be harmed quite a lot. Yuk Ying was grinning like an idiot.

Next the eunuch and Po Shim asked Yu Fei "Why my lady did not punish her since the opportunity and the evidence were all there?" and Yu Fei simply reasoned "I actually thought she was cunning but then we discover about the switched medicine incident. Then I thought she planned Yuen Kei's downfall but then there was the 2nd anonymous letter and Sook Ling's confession about Yuen Kei in the hall the other day. So I realise Yuk Ying is beautiful, but she is also stupid. And such a beautiful but stupid woman is surely useful. Like what the Empress always do in the past, I shall make Yuk Ying my ally and she shall serve the Emperor on my behalf. I shall look generous and yet I shall gain from this union between Yuk Ying and Emperor as I could control her and teach her. Moreover, I am not getting any younger, the Emperor will one day discard me but at least then I will have Yuk Ying under my control and direction".

Ahhh how little does Yu Fei knew of Yuk Ying!

Next scene Yuk Ying was running happily straight into her mother's arms and Onn Sin saw this display of affection and was smiling to herself. Even Onn Sin was fooled but truth be told that affection was real. Yuk Ying was very happy to see her mother and we are then told why she went into the palace and her plan about Yu Fei.

"Yu Fei gave me this fan and she wants to make me her puppet", said Yuk Ying in a more subdued way. Her mother said in a worried tone "My daughter, I am worried for you. You must be careful in the palace ..." and Yuk Ying said "Mother, you do not have to worry about me. I know what to do. Remember when you married father? Father's first wife wanted to make you her puppet but you refused and that was a mistake as the other concubines ganged up together to fight you. Now your status is low in the family. Yu Fei was doing exactly what first wife did to you but this time I am smarter. Why shouldn't I just pretend to be stupid and let her use me if that would distract her attention? Mother, do not be worried about me." and then Yuk Ying's mom gave Yuk Ying her last batch of savings. Yes, her mother's status is low in the family and she is also poor because she pawned all her money for Yuk Ying's cause. I assume her mother and Yuk Ying were ignored in the family. This is the other side of Yuk Ying that I am sure the series will build on in later episodes. Then eunuch of Yu Fei came and invited them both to the hall by Yu Fei's order for their reunion.

Next we have Yee Soon walking along the garden with the other concubines and Yee Soon bumped into Eunuch Tsui who has returned to the palace. At night Yee Soon went to see the eunuch and immediately knelt before him asking for forgiveness, for kicking Sook Ling out and that she couldn't help it because she wanted to give Yuen Kei some justice. The eunuch was not angry and encouraged Yee Soon to buck up and Yee Soon tearfully promised she will buck up.

But she didn't as eunuch Tsui's wife was washing his feet when she mentioned that Yee Soon was taking more I think drugs of some sort from the eunuch but eunuch Tsui said Yee Soon explained it was for Sook Ling. But the wife mentioned she knew about this after Sook Ling was banished and she was worried Yee Soon who was always placing more importance to sibling-hood than personal gain may be slowly destroying herself by becoming an addict to drown her guilt and sorrow. Eunuch Tsui was worried and so he met up with Bak Yeung and asked Bak Yeung to get Yee Soon better. Bak Yeung refused as this was improper as this was considered private medical consultation which was forbidden in the palace but eunuch Tsui kinda mentioned that ever since the Emperor toppled the corrupted eunuch He Shen many years before, the Emperor was still searching for He Shen's gang and Eunuch Tsui said rumour has it Senior Dr Suen was in the payroll of He Shen and he himself has received bribes. The Emperor has yet to reach this stage of investigation and so what eunuch Tsui meant was do it or I will tell! Bak Yeung still loves his father and had no choice but to say yes. I pity him sometimes being pushed around but he always finds way to avoid bigger troubles.

Anyway Hung Mo's brother, Chan Song was drunk and was spreading the news that the eunuch cheated their money in the promise of some position in the palace. The eunuch was not pleased and when he saw the handkerchief that Hung Mo found in the 2nd hand costume he bought in several episodes before, he said silk and good sewing skills meant this was from the palace and Hung Mo stole it. And so Hung Mo and brother was beaten relentlessly until Senior Suen passed by and told the eunuch "You have achieved your purpose of punishing them, you must stop now if not I can't guarantee they won't die and that this won't harm you..." and so Hung Mo and brother were sacked. Senior Suen was very kind to Hung Mo and brother and even attend to their injuries when he saw the handkerchief and read the sorrowful poem. Hung Mo asked what the poem was about and senior Suen asked where he found this and Hung Mo said some dead soldier's costume in a 2nd hand shop and senior Suen said "This was probably sewn by someone in the palace so that someone outside of the palace may be able to see this and make fateful contact." and Hung Mo asked "So the maid is still alive and in the palace?" and Senior Suen said "Does it matter whether the maid is from this dynasty or the one before or the one next? Their fate is still the same. You may wish to seek out the person who sewn the poem to express her sorrow of her life in the palace but what use it is if you found her? Her fate has been predestined. Go home my friend, leave this place that is full of gossips, it is not for you". Hung Mo thought otherwise.

When Hung Mo returned, Chan Song was eager to leave. However during the night a lightning supposedly hit the ancestral shrine and it was on fire. Chan Song was busy saving the fire when he saw Hung Mo ran into the shrine despite his protests and Hung Mo paused only for a second as he stood in the dangerous fire in the building and his hand reached for something.

Next scene he who was badly injured but alive was carried into Bak Yeung's clinic and Bak Yeung recognised him. He saw Hung Mo was clucthing the Emperor's ancestral tablet and the Emperor knew of this and was very touched by Hung Mo's bravery. The Empress volunteered to pray and become a vegetarian for I think 10 days and the Emperor said "My Empress, you and Yu Fei both have the same thought and I am very pleased" and the Empress was surprised to hear Yu Fei suggested this first before her and she pretended to be cool about it but we all know she wasn't. Anyway the Emperor expressed his concern about Hung Mo and one more who saved the tablet (actually only Hung Mo but I think Hung Mo lied and said Chan Song was involved too) and the Empress said perhaps they should be given a position in the palace.

And so Hung Mo became a palace guard, given money and some ginseng as well. That eunuch who beat them now had to kow tow to them whilst Hung Mo was very happy of the turn of events. He even arrogantly insisted Bak Yeung wash his wounded leg and Bak Yeung did it as he said "Because you saved the ancertral tablet and I should do my duty" and Hung Mo said "You are always smiling aren't you? You will remember my name, Hung Mo" and Bak Yeung just smiled the way he always do. Does he know Hung Mo's secret? I wonder...

Anyway Chan Song came to see Hung Mo and quietly Hung Mo confessed that he set the building on fire and took a big gamble and he won. Chan Song wasn't very happy to hear this but said nothing more.

Wahhhh Hung Mo so brave actually. I wonder did he save the flute? I think not... Anyway at last his story is moving forward.

Next scene Bak Yeung was attending to Yee Soon and he told off Yee Soon that "Your face is pale, your heart beat is irregular" and Yee Soon was very defensive and said "It was because of your medicine so why not ask your own people?" and Bak Yeung said "If you continue to take what you took (I really do not know what's the name. Is it opium?), you will die, you're asthmatic!" and Yee Soon said "Get out! I don't need you to tell me this! Get out!" and then she fainted. When she woke up, her dress was lowered and she was lying on her stomach on the bed as Bak Yeung finished with the acupuncture. Yee Soon saw her dress like opened and was shocked and wanted to say something when Yuk Ying knocked on her door and Bak Yeung quickly closed the bed by putting the veil over it and Yee Soon wanted to open it but Bak Yeung said Yee Soon is not that well and Yee Soon also agreed and so Yuk Ying left but Bak Yeung he was in deep trouble since we know Yuk Ying is cunning. Anyway when she left, Bak Yeung went to Yee Soon and Yee Soon slapped him. Yee Soon said "How dare you?" and Bak Yeung said "If I didn't do what I did, you would have died" and Yee Soon said "It is none of your business whether I live or die!" and Bak Yeung said "It is indeed none of my concern but it is the concern of Eunuch Tsui. I could help you with your addiction but you will have to heal your own emotional wounds".

When Bak Yeung left, he was met half way by a smiling Yuk Ying.

Tomorrow Yuk Ying will threaten Bak Yeung and I am sure she will fail yet again.

This is like the 3rd time the series ended with a sly looking Yuk Ying.

Anyway good episode as it highlighted Yee Soon's trouble, Bak Yeung's difficulties, the compassion of senior Suen, Hung Mo's desparation and Yuk Ying's more real side of her. I am doubtful of the charges against senior Suen, doesn't look like him to behave the way Tsui said he did many years before. The kindness he showed on Hung Mo was a nice touch. I wonder does Hung Mo know that was Bak Yeung's father? Maybe he won't be so arrogant and mean to Bak Yeung who was patient enough to take all snide remarks. I think he treats Hung Mo like a fried. But seriously, Chan Hung Lit's voice should have been dubbed. The story about the sorrowful maid sewing the handkerchief and the poem was lost to me since I can't understand many words he was saying, not because my cantonese is weak but because seriously, his pronunciation is way off.

Character wise it is interesting to note that everybody underestimates Yuk Ying, except for Bak Yeung who seems to see things more clearly. Even Yu Fei was stupid enough to fall for Yuk Ying's I am innocent act and I guess that was her first major mistake and the start of her downfall. And Yuk Ying was smart enough to play along.

Yee Soon is a bit boring tonight since she was still grieving but didn't make sense; one second she declared to Tsui she will buck up in very determined eyes and next she was drugging herself to death. Not much consistency and continuity.

Performance wise, Charmaine Sheh did well tonight except for the drugged out scene as in looking sick and pale and all. I mean clutching your chest and breathing fast isn't really a true performance of someone who is supposed to be really dying and sick. She faltered in these seriously dramatic scenes that may require some technical knowledge but all else she did ok.

Bowie was excellent tonight. I am very happy he is adjusting to the role now and no longer reciting his lines. His Bak Yeung is shrewd and smart and cunning and yet not cunning or shrewd enough to avoid getting stuck into serious problems.

Maggie one scene only today so no comment.

Wai Kah Hung was wonderful was the jittery Chan Song but it does get tiring to see him jittery all the time.

Rebecca Chan was excellent as the Empress. Noticed her expression when she was told Yu Fei suggested being a vegetarian for 1 week first before her. Classic moment. Anyway her costume was the best tonight. Wow was my only reaction.

Sheren Teng is still in the "I am arrogant and over confident" stage so nothing much to do, yet. I am a bit sick of her over confidence actually. But she's good.

Gigi Lai is tolerable tonight except for that scene where she was begging Yu Fei. I mean yeah her eyes was expression and the speed in which she cried was really fast and that the fact the camera quickly zoomed to her eyes was really an indication that she was required to act with her eyes in that difficult scene. But it was inadequate for me. I mean even before Yu Fei reached the main point of the fan, her eyes was welling up. You may say she was reading the poem as Yu Fei spoke and so it may dawn on her she was holding something libellous BUT I thought she jumped the gun by a full 5 seconds. She should take some more time to look confused and then panic and then cry all she was worth. That scene make her look calculative and planned. I have no doubt she knew she was carrying a fan that was switched and that she planned it all to show how dumb she was before Yu Fei. But that would be like giving too much credit to Yuk Ying isn't it? Is she that smart? Is she that cunning? Can she accurately predict Yu Fei's reaction when Yu Fei is unpredictable? Like that blue costume incident. Surely she wouldn't have know Yu Fei would wear red. Many incidents like these. Anyway I shall take this progression of her character with a pinch of salt. Her better scene was when with Lily Lee as she calmed down a bit but when the eunuch appeared her smile was so wide and she went back to perky stupid Yuk Ying. Like I said earlier, I believe this was Gigi's interpretation.

You see I guess she wanted to make the differences between innocent and cunning very clear and so as innocent Yuk Ying she overacts and was like overexcited. As cunning Yuk Ying she calmed down a bit and talked in a lower pitched voice but still as over excited. In part a brilliant strategy to show 2 sides of Yuk Ying clearly and also because Gigi is herself sometimes an over the top type of actress. But to me her strategy backfired because her performance was annoying to the core. So fake when we should be kept guessing. And with plot holes also her character's actions becomes inconsistent and like I said too much of a fortune teller who can predict everything. Yuk Ying really is shrewd but like Bak Yeung said, not the most shrewd. In my opinion still a bad performance.

I was having dinner with my friends tonight and one of my friend mentioned many names who could play Yu Fei. Sheren is a wonderful actress, but not the best. She is lucky to be given to this role which she did well but I do wonder, how would other actresses would have intepreted this role? Below is my alternative casting suggested by my friend and agreed by me for reasons that is purely technical; their interpretation may be different and may be more interesting but not to say the original cast is really so very bad...

Yu Fei
First name was the retired Florence Kwok. I agree. She would make Yu Fei coming across as harsh but cunning, deceptive and smart and this woman can really act. A pity she retired. Moreover she will not get this role since she was always a second liner.

Second name was Hong Wah which was my first choice until I heard Florence's name. Hong Wah is the right age I guess and also she is very pretty. Best is she is very good in those deceptive roles and she tends to recite her lines in her soft feminine voice but yet manage to give that voice some lethal power to it. A fantastic actress but always sidelined so she will never have gotten this role.

Third name was again a retired actress Mariane Chen. She can definitely give Yu Fei a sympathetic but harsh perspective. A pity she retired.

Empress
Rebecca Chan was excellent. But what about ... what's her name? That mad woman in Burning Flame (wife of Chun Pui)? Her eyes can be deadly.

Bak Yeung
Kong Wah could do this role and I could understand 3 women in love with him since Kong Wah can play a scholarly type and still maintain a cunning shrewd personality, if he doesn't do the catwalk walk. But I am happy with Bowie.

Hung Mo
Wong Hei is fantastic actor and he looks the part but too thin and too short. But acting would be better. Moses to me is ok lar.

Yee Soon/Yuk Ying
Very difficult. My friend's choice is interesting as it is controversial. For one she said Sherming Yiu should have been given one of these roles, either one will do since she is a competent actress, young, pretty but alas always sidelined. And she wondered how come Anne Heung wasn't involved? I wondered too since Anne Heung was always favoured for big productions, more so ancient types. Whilst we all agree Anne Heung is not a fantastic actress and sometimes may not be a competent one, we all agree she looks great in qipaos (hence in manchurian dress also will look great), she has the pretty looks (not quite these days since she has lost weight, she has the soft gentle voice (that I disagree since her voice can be annoying) and the most important factor, she has this natural elegance and sophistication. She should have been Yuk Ying. I kinda agree in some ways because I could see Anne as Yuk Ying and moreover acting wise she won't be that far worse than Gigi Lai anyway. My friend said more importantly...well I quote her..

"Ok, she may not be the most beautiful actress, she may not be the best actress ...I saw this show with her standing next to Mandy Cho. Mandy Cho is pretty but Anne Heung has a face I could remember even when I saw her only once. She has a memorable face and really she looks fantastic in ancient series..but I do think she may be too tall.."

Good choice.

My other choice is Leung Siu Bung for either one of these roles. I mean since everybody is so old I am sure Leung can fit into the age group by not looking too young or too old. But I am not sure how she looks now.

But I do agree on Anne Heung for either Yee Soon or Yuk Ying. If I have my way, I would say Anne for Yuk Ying, Charmaine remains for Yee Soon and I will squeeze in Sherming somewhere.
You may not agree with me but I have no doubt my choice of cast will still create a hit series since this series was a hit not because of who's in it but the story itself. This series boasts not who is better than who but who is worse than who. I find the acting generally mediocre thus far.

As for Maggie Cheung, she remains.



- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

5 comments:

Kidd November 2, 2005 at 10:28 PM  

A good news for you. Florence Kwok is coming out of retirement. :)

As for Noel Leung Siu Bing. She's as young looking as ever. Both Noel Leung and Anne Heung are good choices for Yuk Ying/Yee Shun. They both look good in ancient costumes. Both look like classic beauties. Noel also has a bonus point. She is a good and versatile actress.

Anonymous November 3, 2005 at 10:07 AM  

Yuk Ying is not as smart as you think she is. She is the stupidest one out of the 4 ladies. I don't think she can bring about anyone's downfall.

Anonymous November 3, 2005 at 1:12 PM  

Florence is indeed of her retierment (yay!) She's in FDYS (WAB II) and a series with Bobby/Yoyo.

Anne Heung would not suit Gigi's role. For one, her acting is bad enough. And she looks too haggard and old.

Kathy November 6, 2005 at 12:16 AM  

I think Noel Leung would be a perfect Yuk Ying. Not only can she act (gazzillliooonnnn times better than Gigi), she is extremely versatile.

Elizabeth December 3, 2005 at 12:55 AM  

I agree with anoynmous. YY is brainless! And worse of all, she can't see her own weakness and thinks too highly of herself.

Anyway, Funn, Charmaine was breathing that strangely because she was having an asthama attack, which was triggererd by the hallucinogens she was taking.

I thinlk the special thing about Yee Shun is that she seems very strong and independent (like promising her godfather to survive), but in fact, she is very weak and fragile (she can't face herself so she takes drugs).

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter