SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 13

Suspense, intrigue, confrontation, knowing ones true enemy..what an episode. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!!

Anyway recap first. By the way I am giddy with happiness and joy because of THIS NEWS so do please forgive me for my occasional relapse into giddy schoolgirl mode or that when I forgot details.

Where was yesterday's episode? Ahhhh the Empress arrived in the nick of time.

Empress said the two bodies have been found in the well but things have been bad, like bad omen. So she personally came and said she would like to takeover the investigation from Yu Fei and so she will take Onn Sin and go. But Yu Fei arrogantly dismissed the Empress and said the Empress should not be burdened by what should be Yu Fei's investigation but the Empress then reminded her that she was the Empress and therefore is the guardian of the Emperor's wives and all affairs within it so she rightfully had the right to takeover. She was angry that Yu Fei dared to defy her and that the Emperor and herself have given her too much power that now Yu Fei was so arrogant but Yu Fei said if that is the case then perhaps they should let the emperor be the judge. The Empress grew very quiet then and then Yu Fei also said since the matter happened during the Empress' absence from the palace therefore Yu Fei should continue with the investigation to settle the messy problem. Then the Empress full of authority said "It is because it happened during my absence and you have taken over the investigation, look at how messy the problem became!" and Yu Fei was very silent and the Empress said "I shall takeover this investigation and my dear sister should rest. I shall take Onn Sin along.." and the Empress left Yu Fei huffing and puffing.

I was like YIPPEEEE! Finally someone to put Yu Fei in the right place. I know I know she must have been kind hearted and all and that the Empress changed her but frankly Yu Fei may have forgotten about her own humanity for her to do such evil deeds on Onn Sin who really is just a small fry. I was so happy to see the Empress walked in and then walked out the way she did. This scene would have my vote as the best scene for this episode.

Then Onn Sin explained about the killings to the Empress but the Empress was very doubtful of her story. She said "You're but a woman, how can one woman overpower two men? I heard there was a guard who was apprehended together with you. Tell me the truth, was he involved?" and Onn Sin said "No your majesty, he wanted to stop me from leaving the palace, he was not involved. I was the one who did the killings, please punish me alone.." and the Empress kindly said "There are some truths in your story but I know there are some untruths. Nevertheless I believe you ..." and then suddenly an eunuch rushed in and told the Empress that they found a 3rd body in the well. The Empress was shocked and Onn Sin quickly said "Your majesty I admit to the killings of Eunuch Ngok and his nephew but I swear I do not know anything about the 3rd body.." and the Empress quickly said to the Eunuch "Alright then. I feel this case can be settled once and for all. Bury the well, and tell everyone not to speak of tonight's incident again. Onn Sin you have done wrong and should be punished eventhough it was not your fault. But you may go and let tonight's incident settle.". Onn Sin was very happy and the well was smashed and covered.

I am sure Yu Fei would know about the 3rd body but I was curious why she never brought this point up later in the episode. I have a speculation here. I think why the Empress was so eager to first take Onn Sin away is her way of power play with Yu Fei and see who wins. Clearly she won. But why she was so eager to bury the entire incident about the 3rd body instead of referring the discovery to internal investigative dept? I have a theory. Everybody may think Yu Fei dumped the 3rd body there but then why would Yu Fei ordered for the same well to be dug? I think the Empress killed or ordered someone to be killed many years before and the 3rd body was the victim dumped in there. Probably the Emperor's favourite concubine back then? Could Senior Suen have anything to do with this? Ahhh only time will tell. I thought the Empress was far too eager to settle the matter.

Next scene we see Onn Sin burning the neck scarf given by Yu Fei to her, that red coloured one. It was a significant scene. I believe that symbolises that from that day onwards she was the Empress' aide, no longer without a true master but her master was now the Empress since Yu Fei pushed her to that direction. She trusted the Empress whom she saw as kind hearted and reasonable unlike Yu Fei. When she was lightning the lanterns, she bumped into Hung Mo and Hung Mo was very happy for her and was trying to tell her things shall pass and in a way saying perhaps later on when the matter settles they could have a proper relationship. But Onn Sin told Hung Mo that she didn't want to trouble him anymore and she wished to walk this lonely path that is often dangerous alone. She begged Hung Mo not to jeapordise his own future like he did that night as she was not worth it as he went to so much trouble to get to this stage he should not let her business drag him down. And so she walked alone towards the darkness in that big lonely palace and Hung Mo could do nothing but watched the woman he loved walking away from him.

How poetic. It was poetic. That scene was very nicely done and for once I saw the lonely cold palace and the cinematography was for once up to good standards as we can see the spotlight at the back lightning the dark buildings. I wonder though, how long did they filmed in the forbidden palace or maybe most scenes weren't filmed in the forbidden palace?

Anyway continue with the story.

Yu Fei was still anxious to find Tsui's woman, so to speak. Now that Onn Sin was out of her reach, she had to figure out how to settle the Tsui problem once and for all. At the same time Yee Soon heard a rumour that Po Shim became insane after that night at Chan Fei's room and rumour has it that Yu Fei ordered for her to be killed. Yuk Ying heard this and was intrigued by this for reasons I do not understand. I mean why Yuk Ying had to be such a busybody? More so when Yu Fei has given her a bottle of the Emperor's favourite perfume and said to her that when the Emperor comes back she shall introduce her to him. Yuk Ying was very very very happy.

Next Onn Sin was dragged away to I think Chan Fei's room and she saw a very messy and scared looking Po Shim. Po Shim begged Onn Sin to help her as she said "I am not insane! It was Yu Fei's lies! I knew too much, I knew who she hurt and who she killed and now she wanted to get rid of me which was why she said I became insane! Ku-Ku (Onn Sin's nickname) please save me, please help me" and Onn Sin with concern said "There's only one person who can help you now. We must get to the Empress quick. I will arrange everything whilst you wait here". And Onn Sin quickly left.

But she couldn't go far as she was stopped by an eunuch who said Yu Fei said to prepare food for the Tap Yings who were watching an opera together with Yu Fei and Bak Yeung was there too.

I must stop here for a while. I must say that opera taking place at that big big big courtyard was so grand, so real, such beautiful cinematopgraphy. Did TVB suddenly remembered to hire one? Beautifully shot scene.

Continue.

Where was I? Ahhh yes, so Onn Sin couldn't leave just yet. Right about then an eunuch appeared next to Yu Fei and gave Yu Fei a single shoe, and everybody knew it was Po Shim's and something must have happened. Yee Soon was observing the situation and so was Yuk Ying. When Yu Fei left, Yee Soon followed suit and Yuk Ying followed as well. Bak Yeung saw Yee Soon leaving and he was worried what she was to do now. Onn Sin couldn't leave.

Yee Soon was rushing to Chan Fei's room when she suffered an asthma attack and stopped for awhile whilst Yuk Ying was still far behind. And then in Chan Fei's room we see Po Shim neatly dressed and said to a very cool Yu Fei that "My Lady, I am sure this time we will lure Eunuch Tsui's Tap Ying here..." and Yu Fei cooly said "I have planned this for it this way, and whoever reached here, I shall know..".

Ok, now I must explain this scene because I was confused too. After much recollection it was like this. Yu Fei asked Po Shim to pretend to be scared out of her wits and created the whole rumour about she being killed and all. The reason was simple. Onn Sin will never reveal who Tsui's Tap Ying was. Yu Fei must ger rid of this Tap Ying so as not to allow Eunuch Tsui to get his girl near the Emperor. She thought Tsui was working for the Empress and she will never allow for her power to be threatened by Tsui or the Empress. So when the rumours said Po Shim was in Chan Fei's room, Tsui's girl will surely try to reach Po Shim first since Po Shim knew so much of Yu Fei's dirty secrets and that could topple Yu Fei's power. So whoever entered that room tonight, that would be Tsui's girl.

Now one question; why would Yu Fei so eager to topple Tsui Man Tin? This will be explained in a later scene.

And who turned up first? It was busybody Yuk Ying. Yuk Ying immediately knew she was tricked and she quickly begged Yu Fei for forgiveness. Yu Fei was very angry and Yuk Ying kept saying "Yee Soon tricked me! I was following her, she tricked me! She deliberately left her red pouch here..see! See! It's her red pouch, she tricked me! She tricked me" and the scene went on far too long with a very hysterical Yuk Ying. And imagine this; even in a normal scene Gigi Lai was already hysterical, more so this scene. It was very painful to watch. But I reckon the earlier scene where she was having a chit chat with Yu Fei was the worst. I had to cover my ears because she was talking so loud. Maybe someone should tell her talking loudly doesn't make you look like an innocent person as Gigi was obviously trying to portray an innocent naive Yuk Ying, it just made you look bad as an actress and sounded like a total idiot. That was how I see Yuk Ying anyway. Anyway finally the torture (for us viewers) ended when Yu Fei had second thoughts and ordered Yuk Ying to go back to her room and whilst Yu Fei returned to the opera show. Whilst there she saw Yee Soon sitting there and she asked Bak Yeung whom she trusted (and wrongly trusted if you ask me) whether Yee Soon ever left her seat and Bak Yeung said "No, she was enjoying the show from what I could see". Clearly Bak Yeung lied and Yu Fei was satisfied with that answer.

Then Bak Yeung left early and met with Eunuch Tsui and he asked Eunuch Tsui what was going on tonight? Why Yee Soon returned to the opera and asked him to lie that she was there all along? At the same time we have an interwoven scene where Yuk Ying went to see Yee Soon and confronted Yee Soon. So whilst Eunuch Tsui explained that he knew Yu Fei had set up a trap for Yee Soon to walk in, Bak Yeung was very angry and said "You knew it was a trap. Why you could send Yee Soon into that trap?". Tsui said "I sent in 3 god daughters, but now only left Yee Soon. I can't fail and this was the only way I save Yee Soon.."

Cut to Yuk Ying who was screaming at Yee Soon and said "How could you! How could you trick me! I never knew you were a two faced woman and now I know!" and Yee Soon coldly said "I thought I was wrong to have tricked you. I thought I should at least apologise to you but after what you said just now, I could sleep soundly from now on. I bear no guilt towards you..." and Yuk Ying said "You are a liar, you planned all this to trick me. You're jealous of me, afraid that I would win the Emperor's heart, you are trying to oust me just like others and Yee Soon said "Don't you pretend to be innocent anymore. Didn't you report on me about the switched medicine incident? You're not that innocent, you too did all these for personal gain.." and Yuk Ying tried to defend herself but Yee Soon was right. They were equally despicable if you ask me and Yee Soon returned the jade that Yuk Ying gave her and Yuk Ying left the room and threw the jade away. Onn Sin picked up the jade and was wondering what happened.

Meanwhile Tsui explained to Bak Yeung that "Yu Fei already suspected Sook Ling's incident was no accident and I knew I had to deliver someone to her. Who better than Yuk Ying? This way will appease Yu Fei and get rid of Yuk Ying. I had no choice" and I think it was then perhaps Bak Yeung started to pity Yuk Ying.

Yu Fei was in her room and she was very angry as she said to Eunuch Tsui who was kneeling down that "Who am I to you? Am I your master? A concubine? A nobody? Or an idiot? Tsui Man Tin, you can rest assure, tell this to your Master the Empress. As long as I am Yu Fei, I will never allow the Empress' women to get near the Emperor. Are you listening? I will stop her as long as I am here and tell your master that!" and Tsui said "yes" but actually he was smiling. He knew he had succeeded in diverting her attention from Yee Soon.

Meanwhile Yu Fei requested to see Yuk Ying's mom. Halfway the mom saw Eunuch Tsui and had a friendly chat with her. Eunuch Tsui advised the mom that if Yu Fei asked does she know him she must answer no as Yu Fei hated people playing politics and having aides or help from the servants. The mother who didn't know about Yuk Ying's predicament said alright. But Yu Fei's man saw them chatting for a very long time. So when Yu Fei was chatting with the mother, Yu Fei mentioned that Yuk Ying's father played a very important role in defeating the rebels and was highly respected within the palace (so he must have been powerful, so Yuk Ying should come with strong backing but strangely she was all alone in the palace). The mom mentioned that the father was in good terms but not great friends but still friendly terms with another general and Yu Fei noted the general as the Empress' relative (which meant the Empress had strong backing as well) and the mom smilingly said yes without knowing Yu Fei and the Empress were fighting one another. And the Yu Fei asked whether the mom knew Eunuch Tsui and the mom denied knowing Eunuch Tsui. And Yu Fei then decided Yuk Ying was the enemy.

The mom then met with Yuk Ying and told her what happened. Yuk Ying immediately knew she was in deep trouble. Then Yee Soon passed by and the mom quickly greeted Yee Soon in a friendly way (she didn't know what happened before) and asked Yee Soon to take good care of Yuk Ying but Yee Soon gently smiled and said "You daughter does not need me to take care of her madam, she is well loved in here" and she politely left. Yuk Ying was staring at her all along.

Next scene we see the Emperor who came back (didn't really see him, his eunuch carried his order) and the Emperor chose a Tap Ying to spend the night with. It was not Yee Soon and definitely not Yuk Ying. Yuk Ying sadly saw her opportunity passed by as she saw the Eunuch bearing the message left and she was left standing alone, wondering what went wrong.

The end.

Clearly Yu Fei recommended to the Emperor another girl. Tomorrow we shall see how Yee Soon seduced the Emperor and how Yuk Ying settle the matter with Yu Fei. Tension.

Excellent episode tonight spoilt only by Gigi Lai's god awful performance. Tonight she surpassed the metre of bad acting like 1000 percent. She totally killed the episode.

On the other hand, Charmaine Sheh did a brilliant job tonight in bringing out the cynical, manipulative and cold Yee Soon as Yuk Ying confronted her. I thought she did the scene very well and she showed to Yuk Ying she too is not easy to be bullied. By the way she has my vote for the best costume tonight in that scene where Yuk Ying's mother greeted her where she was wearing this flowing white with pink flowers costume. She simply looked ravishing in there. I still think she should have been Yuk Ying and Gigi should have been Yee Soon. I would think Yuk Ying should be quietly manipulative and not like a loud idiot.

Maggie Cheung was brilliant as usual. I pity her Onn Sin. Sheren Teng was great too as she brought out the desperation of Yu Fei very well. I see her need to get Tsui's woman out as desperation.

Wai Kah Hung was brilliant in that one scene where he confronted Hung Mo and kinda whispered and shouted (more like shouting whilst whispering) at Hung Mo for being an idiot and for killing people to help Onn Sin since that would jeapordise his career and whilst helping Onn Sin is what he should do, he must however stop somewhere. Brilliant scene and performance. Why brilliant? He was shouting whilst whispering! Such attention to details unlike Gigi Lai who thinks every viewer must be deaf with the way she screamed her lines. Moses did a credible job too.

Rebecca Chan was amazing. Simply amazing.

The rest are in top form.

This series is getting more and more intriguing although not very complex. Most of the time the downfall of certain people are because they're busybodies.

In that scene where Yu Fei was waiting for Tsui's tap ying to enter that room, it showed many implications. It showed quite simply the true nature of each major character.

For one, Yee Soon is not as simple as one would think. She is not evil but she knows a lot and she knows Yuk Ying is not as simple as she is.

Yuk Ying on the other hand thinks she is very smart and can settle all problems. But tonight showed that she is not that smart and she too by thinking she can outsmart somebody was being outsmarted by the silent one, that is Yee Soon.

Onn Sin's only downfall is that she is too kind hearted and Yu Fei knew how to manipulate that and so would the Empress. She should not have butt into Yee Soon's problem but she had to because she couldn't let Yee Soon get into the trap. Eventhough Po Shim has always been mean to her she was ready to help Po Shim who was we later found out part of Yu Fei's plans to trick the mole out. To me Onn Sin is noble but at times too noble and that is not good. She really doesn't know much but she still get sucked into it because she simply couldn't just walk away. And that is why she is such a beautiful character, and a great person. A loyal and morally concious person who is now the Empress' aide not by choice but by force.

Yu Fei's downfall is she is too desperate. She feared too much and yet she cover that fear by acting all arrogant which will only push the Empress to do something drastic to kick her out. Maybe she has suffered much but I don't quite like Yu Fei. Like I said however much she was bullied to do what she did on Onn Sin is a clear indication she has stopped functioning as a human being and she too got sucked into the power play probably created by the Empress. I find Yu Fei a very fearful person at the end of the day.

The Empress is probably the only one who handles all matters cooly. I know I am sure she will later be revealed as someone evil, manipulative which is such a terrible waste because if not how then we the viewers accept Yu Fei? A waste. A complete waste. I really like the way the Empress handled the situation tonight, even when she was well eager to bury the 3rd body in the well incident for reasons as I have speculated above.

Great episode tonight.



- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

6 comments:

Anonymous November 9, 2005 at 4:50 PM  

This is the only TVB's series that doesn't give the viewers time to predict what's going to happen. All the suspense are happening so fast and answering right away. It keeps the viewers really busy. Can't blink.

Kidd November 9, 2005 at 7:00 PM  

I know I am sure she will later be revealed as someone evil, manipulative which is such a terrible waste because if not how then we the viewers accept Yu Fei?

LOL. Viewers already accepted Yu Fei (or Sheren's potrayal of her) when she was still a bullying bitch. Most like her from the very beginning, before they know of her past. :p

Funn Lim November 9, 2005 at 11:05 PM  

Kidd, I disliked Yu Fei from the very first scene. Never liked her because I find her such a bully. Was glad got the empress to bully her back.

By the way the suspense can be very confusing. In a way can predict because I made a few predictions and see if I am accurate.

Kidd November 9, 2005 at 11:52 PM  

Lets see together then, because I totally forgot about the 3rd body. So, I also dunno who kill him/her or whether Sr Seun has anything to do with it or not. :)

The Empress is a moster but also the shrewdest woman in the palace.

Ashlie November 10, 2005 at 7:55 AM  

I'm beginning to think if Gigi as an actress is dumb enough to mistaken that Yee Soon is the one with asthma and not Yuk Ying.

Anonymous January 22, 2006 at 10:08 PM  

Well, not sure if anyone reads this anymore, but I just noticed the tiny bit of foreshadowing when Onn Sin picked up the jade, kinda hinting at her being Yuk Ying's new 'sister'.

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter