SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 14

I wrote a damn good one when 50% into this thought the bloody Blogger hanged on me! Arghhhh...

Anyway mind very muddled today because car's battery died during rainy rush hour and so I lost RM140-00 to the new battery. Lucky I had enough cash but there goes my entertainment money!

Where was I? I can't remember where tonight's episode began but I shall begin with Hung Mo.

Hung Mo caught the eunuch who was by the side of Ngok Lo Lei sniggering at him trying to smuggle jade out of the palace. The guy almost choked to death and thanks to Senior Suen, Hung Mo found a piece of jade ring. The Eunuch explained he got it from the 3rd body in the well and Senior Suen suddenly looked very uncomfortable. And this proved my theory right; he had something to do with the 3rd body. And we shall see how right I was in my yesterday's thoughts, ahem!

Anyway Hung Mo refused to let eunuch go even when eunuch said he shall owe him a favour (I suspect he will come in good use one day) because Hung Mo remember the insults but Senior Suen said please let him go. Hung Mo then agreed as Senior Suen saved his life before but the eunuch ran off before Hung Mo gave him back the ring. Senior Suen took the ring. Next scene when he was alone, he smashed the ring into tiny pieces in a very tormented way.

Then we shall know why.

The Empress met with Senior Suen, having a rather honest heart to heart talk with him. She said "Please do not talk so formally with me Dr Suen.

You and I have a friendship that has gone way back before and I consider you my confidant, the only one whom I could speak of my feelings to, please treat me as any equal as you will". Senior Suen didn't look like he thought the same. The Empress mentioned about the 3rd body and then she equated Yu Fei like a Ying Kwai Yan (Concubine Ying, very high ranking) and she mentioned Ying Kwai Yan as the 3rd body. Aha! I was right!

Anyway, she said how she remembered the past about this concubine Ying so clearly, and therefore it would be impossible for Senior Suen to not remember helping her. She extended her gratitude that he helped her by making Concubine Ying sick and remaining sick and locked away until she was forgotten and one day the Empress just killed off Concubine Ying and everyone assumed she died from illness. She said Yu Fei reminded her of Concubine Ying who also became the Emperor's favourite and dared to defy the Empress and therefore she had this Ying killed. Senior Suen couldn't say anything but he looked remorseful. Empress who didn't look a bit remorseful and was very determined when she said "It is perhaps time to show Yu Fei that her time is up...".

Drum roll please...thunder please...lightning please...

Suspense!

Anyway Senior Suen went to see Bak Yeung looking very drunk and Bak Yeung was surprised to see him in the brothel. Senior Suen tried to tell Bak Yeung to stay away from politics amongst the comcubines and to back off whilst he still can and not be too close to them. Bak Yeung arrogantly said "I can handle the situation, I know what I am doing, I have everything under control" and Senior Suen laughed cynically and sadly said "You can handle the situation? You know what you're doing? Perhaps you may be able to say the 1st time your master asks you to do her bidding, maybe you can say no the 2nd time but what about the 3rd time? Th 4th time? Can you say no forever? And maybe perhaps you may think alright, fine maybe just this once, just this one time I shall help my master and then what? You have crossed over and from that moment on you can never say no to all their biddings. Listen to me!

Back off when you still can, don't ever end up regretting your past, remorseful of what you did, back away whilst you still can" and Senior Suen fell into a drunken stupor. Bak Yeung took him home.

I must pause here. This has my vote as the best scene with the best dialogue tonight. The scripting here is brilliant and I found myself nodding my head to what Senior Suen said. Of course can hardly understand Chan Hung Lit but from what I could understand, I thought the words of Senior Suen was wise.

Anyway back home, Bak Yeung found out that it was Hau Shu's birthday. He requested for a bowl of mee sua and Hau Shu was very pleased to make him one. Then he found out his study room was lighted every day, the place was cleaned every day and even his acupuncture needles were cleaned and kept respectfully in order. He was touched by Hau Shu's attention to details. And when he saw a deep scar on her wrist (no she didn't try to kill herself) he asked what was that and she said she cut herself when cleaning the shrine or something and it was Senior Suen who took care of her deep cut. Bak Yueng looked at her and said "It must have been a deep cut to leave such a deep scar.." and Hau Shu said it was nothing.

Then Hau Shu mentioned it was kinda late and whether he would stay over and Bak Yeung finally agreed to Hau Shu's delight. Of course separate rooms.

I like Hau Shu. She is such a dedicated wife for a very absent husband. Bak Yeung kinda felt guilty.

Next day Bak Yeung visited Yuk Ying who was really very temperamental. When he mentioned she suffering from having too much ambition in too short a time to realise them all, Yuk Ying pleaded...no screamed her innocence that she was set up and that those other Tap Yings, who were uglier and more stupid than she was would never have had the chance with the Emperor. Bak Yeung tried to advise her to stay away from Yu Fei and stay low for awhile but Yuk Ying was beyond listening.

But he wanted to help Yuk Ying, probably because he pitied her.

So next day Yu Fei heard that Bak Yeung issued a warning that Yuk Ying was suffering from some infectious disease and must be isolated and must not leave that isolated area. Yu Fei knew it was a lie but she thought Bak Yeung did this to please her as she thought he knew how irritated she was with Yuk Ying and this was a perfect chance for Yu Fei to cool down. Yu Fei was very pleased.

Bak Yeung later said he did this so that to give Yuk Ying a chance not to irritate Yu Fei anymore for a while and for her to think about what she did wrong. For as long as Yuk Ying remained unreasonable and arrogant and a potential dangerous threat to Yu Fei who will kill her, Bak Yeung will not release his warning. So basically Yuk Ying's fate is now in the hands of Bak Yeung.

Bak Yeung went to Heung Fau and realised he must do something if not Yuk Ying will definitely be killed by Yu Fei since Yuk Ying was arrogant enough to say "Who is Yu Fei? I will be bigger than she is, you'll see!". Heung Fau said there was nothing he could do and the path was chosen by the concubines and they chose to travel the difficult road of deceit and deception. Bak Yeung knew by doing what he did he was helping her but he told Heung Fau in a way he was destroying Yuk Ying's future as well. Bak Yeung expressed his wish to quit politics and medicine in the palace since he could do nothing for them.

Yee Soon passed by Yuk Ying's former room and saw Onn Sin holding the smashed piece of jade. Yee Soon asked Onn Sin why she bothered to clean the room, and Onn Sin said "Maybe Yuk Ying will come back, moreover there will be another Tap Ying to occupy this room" and Yee Soon smilingly said "Another girl? Someone who is lesser than Yuk Ying perhaps?" and Onn Sin asked to leave but Yee Soon stopped her and said "I know you have gone through a lot these past few days. Be my ally. I can trust you and I need someone I could trust. Be my ally and I can assure you I will be the Emperor's most favoured concubine and when that day comes I shall return you this favour." but Onn Sin said "I will be leaving soon, I am sorry to say I will not be able to see your glory days.." and Yee Soon said "You know how small minded Yu Fei could be. Do you think you can lead a peaceful life whilst you wait to finish your tenure here?" and Onn Sin looked at Yee Soon and said "I shall be transferred to the laundry dept" and Yee Soon was shocked and said "That dirty place? Yu Fei did this? Why then do you have to put up with this, with her? Join me..." and Onn Sin said "I have nothing but one wish; I wish to leave this place and for the next 6 months my suffering at that place could appease Yu Fei's anger towards me, I shall have to bear with it. I must take my leave now my lady.." and Onn Sin left leaving Yee Soon very bewildered.

I admire Onn Sin. She definitely refused to get into politics and she did what she did purely out of the goodness of her heart. And I must say Yee Soon has taste in choosing her as her ally because Onn Sin can be trusted in a way. A pity Onn Sin is not ambitious.

Then we have Yu Fei in her room and Yu Fei asked which concubines have been serving the Emperor and she said she wanted her name to be included for tonight. Just a pause her. Back in those days the Emperor will choose his companion for the night by choosing from a set of name plates so to speak. Only those name plates qualify to sleep with the emperor that night and so Yu Fei is powerful enough to ensure which name plate reaches the Emperor and she knew by putting her own name in she will get the Emperor's visit since she was his favourite. This was why Yuk Ying and Yee Soon will try their best to get favourable support from Yu Fei. Which what will probably irked the Empress.

Anyway the Emperor came that night (lucky Yu Yeung! Can't imagine his old hands hugging the younger ones like that! Why can't Michael Miu become the Emperor? He is old enough. Kong Wah also what!) and he was pleased with Yu Fei. But suddenly he noticed something on the top of Yu Fei's head but he said nothing. And suddenly in the middle of the night the Emperor made excuses about work and left quickly, never happened before to Yu Fei. Yu Fei then found out why. She had a single strand of white hair.

A single strand of white hair. That was enough to kill the lust in the emperor. Dirty old man. And how old is Yu Fei? I doubt she was over 30. In a way I do pity her. She was clearly losing her power when she lost the emperor's attention.

Next day she was strolling the garden when she saw a few tap yings playing kite. Yee Soon was one of them and her kite broke off and she ran after it and straight into the arms of the Emperor. By the way it was purely accidental but also good luck she bumped into him. She quickly bowed and the Emperor was captivated by the kite and followed it and to her. The Emperor saw the red pouch (made by Fook Nga but Bak Yeung said it was from him) and wanted it but Yee Soon quickly said "NO!" and she reasoned that it was old, she wanted to make the Emperor a new one. The Emperor was pleased and said he shall wait for the new one. There! She got his attention!

Then Yu Fei summoned Yee Soon to her room and demanded why Yee Soon refused to hive the pouch to the Emperor. Yee Soon with a small voice confessed that the pouch was made by her male cousin whom she left behind and Yu Fei was pleased with the answer and returned the pouch to her. That night Yu Fei said she shall choose Yee Soon as the candidate to sleep with the Emperor. Po Shim asked why such a dim witted girl and Yu Fei said "It will be because she is dim witted and because in her heart she already had her cousin. She will feel no love for the Emperor" and Po Shim said "What if she did any hanky panky?" and Yu Fei said "If she turns out to be as such, if I have the power to make her the Emperor's concubine and I shall have the power to make her fall". So Yee Soon is the one!

Yee Soon then met with Tsui who congratulated her and Yee Soon said her foster mom had taught her the type of woman who shall make a lasting impression on a man is the type that plays hard to get. She had succeeded but she didn't look too happy.

Don't you wonder why she said NO! when the emperor asked for the pouch? Tsui may have reasoned that any other girls would have given the emperor their pouch but Yee Soon chose to make a lasting impression by having a personality and character. The truth was I suspect that Yee Soon couldn't bear to part with the pouch she thought made or given by Bak Yeung. After all she was in love with him already which was why she said NO! and it turned out to her advantage.

As Yee Soon was making a new pouch for the emperor using yellow fabric and sewing a dragon on it, Bak Yeung arrived and advised Yee Soon to sew instead mandarin ducks ("Yin Yeong") to signify love to the Emperor. Yee Soon wondered if she should do that and that she would adopt a new method instead of the mandarin ducks method. Bak Yeung then recounted the famous story of a tap ying who said no to the emperor when he asked for her pouch. Yee Soon was quite famous and Bak Yeung said "Althought everybody spoke ill of you that you were so rude to refuse the emperor I think you did it right. You had his attention and now he is waiting for your pouch". Yee Soon looked hurt and looked at Bak Yeung "Is that how you think of me?". Bak Yeung of course rightly said that he thought that was what she wanted and he reminded her the dangerous path she was threading and she should strive to not become a forgotten concubine who had lost all privileges and Yee Soon jealously said "Are you saying Concubine Fook? Is there something going between you and Concubine Fook? Do you like her?" and I think Bak Yeung quickly left.

Then Yee Soon dressed very nicely and paid a visit to Concubine Fook. She was surprised to see such a shabby building and garden and she found Fook Nga on the floor fainted.

This definitely gave new meaning to cold palace.

Anyway Yee Soon was very angry with the attitude of the maid serving Fook Nga who was blaming Fook Nga for fainting and Yee Soon shouted at her and demanded she do certain things at once. Only when Yee Soon mentioned she will report this to Yu Fei did the maid quickly went about her work. Fook Nga tried to diffuse the situation but Yee Soon will not hear her.

Then Bak Yeung came and looked at Fook Nga's situation and he too scolded the maid. Then he left to make her some medicine. When he left, Yee Soon asked Fook whether she was that close to Bak Yeung and Fook Nga said "Yes, I am very close to Dr Suen. When I first entered the palace, within 1 year I was made a Kwai Yan and I have seen the glorious side of being favoured. I then didn't know how to differentiate who was a friend and who was an enemy. When I suddenly became sick, I was sent here and Dr Suen was the only one who remained as my friend. I am thankful for his presence. I have a nice confortable house and Dr Suen who cares about me. I am contented with my circumstances. Dr Suen is not only a good man, he is a great doctor who is compassionate a giving. I am very lucky to have met him". Yee Soon looked at Fook Nga and was taking in every word she was saying.

Anyway this scene we know Fook Nga was once a favourite concubine and was very high up there. 1 year and already a Kwai Yan. What illness I wonder she has? And we also find out how nice Bak Yeung is. Is Bak Yeung in love with her? Still dunno yet.

Meanwhile Bak Yeung went to visit Yuk Ying but Yuk Ying blamed Bak Yeung for pushing her into that desolate state with an ugly house, no privileges and a lazy maid. She then did a godzilla (yes, GODZILLA, you know when GODZILLA went trashing the buildings? Excatly that way and as dramatic) and tore the curtains, threw the stuff and all and Bak Yeung realised she still haven't changed her attitude and said "I am afraid you are still inflicted with this disease and you shall remain here a bit longer" and Yuk Ying was beyond listening and she just ran out.

Once out she saw Yu Fei playing with a bird in a cage and Yu Fei saw her but ignored her. She ran to Yu Fei but Po Shim stopped her and she cried "Yu Fei, I have never betrayed you. I have always wanted to serve you, I have no agenda, please let me return, please don't do this to me" but Yu Fei said she was disappointed with Yuk Ying whom she saw as a potential concubine for the Emperor and Yuk Ying kept saying she was innocent, she was crying, she wanted to serve Yu Fei, on and on and on. I think the director must be in love with Gigi Lai or maybe he thought she was doing such a splendid job when I was thinking oh Yu Fei, please strangle her and throw her into the pond! PLEASEEEEEE.... but Yu Fei did something better. She gave us a cliffhanger! She thew a hair pin at Yuk Ying and said "If you're willing to do anything to plead your innocence, then do this. Scratch your own face with that hair pin..." and Yuk Ying took it and looked at it long and hard and Yu Fei said "What? Don't dare to?" adn Yuk Ying looked some
more and then..

tomorrow's preview, we see poor Yee Soon having to sleep with old lusty bastard that caused all these trouble, that is The One Who Saw On Strand of White Hair, the Emperor himself. I shudder at that thought. POOR CHARMAINE!

Good episode tonight with some great moments. Overall it is about Yee Soon and Yuk Ying. I can't pity Yuk Ying. I cheered at her predicament. She dug her own grave anyway.

Onn Sin I am very pleased with. What a character! Yee Soon too I am beginning to like. She shows some character, some personality.

Performance wise, the men did well, including Chan Hung Lit.

The more important ones are the women right?

The worst first.

Gigi Lai is still so bad I can't find anymore words to describe how bad she was. That godzilla scene was so godzilla. I understand, she was emotional, she was angry but the way she flung that divider was so acting mode you know. Such a calculated move. Horrible awful performance as she screamed and cried and all. She cried alright but I can't stand her. The camera seems to linger on her face whenever she begs Yu Fei but oh please stop the torture!

Maggie Cheung was brilliant. Enough said.

Jade Leung was very pretty and did well with the limited screentime though her diction is not clear. If you can put up with Chan Hung Lit, you can put up with her.

Priscilla Lau who played Bak Yeung's cheerleader, Heung Fau was well ok. Not a very demanding role anyway.

Irene Wong brought out the gentleness and the innocence and eagerness of Hau Shu very well, I like her in here though very limited scene. I hope

Bak Yeung really becomes her husband even for a short while.

Charmaine Sheh did a brilliant job tonight. I like it when she plays the deceptive, calm, scheming Yee Soon. Her scene with Maggie Cheung was excellently done and I think Charmaine is very pretty in today's episode. However I am sure once she goes back to emotional scenes she will falter. So far her best moments is those quiet reflection type of moment, something Gigi Lai doesn't understand.

I can't say Sheren Teng was bad. She was ok. There are some scenes I thought her actions looked rather deliberate, like for a moment she did too much or didn't know what to do next to create a continous flow of consistent performance. That scene was the scene where I think she was still very angry with Yuk Ying. Her staring eyes was a bit overdone. But overall, anyone is better than Gigi Lai over the top "LOOK AT ME!!!" performance.

Looking forward to more intrigue tomorrow but will I vomit when I see Charmaine kiss that old man? Hope not.

Anyway I was right about the 3rd body and the connection between the Empress and Senior Suen! Yeah! Got prize or not?





- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

4 comments:

Kidd November 11, 2005 at 12:28 AM  

Funn. Did u notice that the Emperor shows no care at all that one of his favourite concubines Chan Fei is death and has no name tablet and has no one to pray for her? This Concubine rank was a 'Fei' which is 3rd rank (2 rank above 'Gwai Yan'). That means the Emperor must have favoured her a lot to make her 'Fei'. But when she's dead the Emperor hardly noticed. Hardly is he angry with Yu Fei for executing his beloved concubine.

On concubines' ranking:

Actually, 'Gwai Yan' is not that high a rank. It's only the 5th rank. Here's the Emperor's Consorts ranking in Qing Dynasty

Empress/Wong Hau (1 person)
Wong Gwai Fei (1st rank, 1 person)
Gwai Fei (2nd rank, 2 persons)
Fei (3rd rank, 4 persons)
Pan (4th rank, 6 persons)
Gwai Yan (5th rank, unlimited)
Seung Joi (6th rank, unlimited)
Daap Ying (7th rank, unlimited)

Funn Lim November 11, 2005 at 4:49 AM  

Kidd I noticed that too. Just imagine this; one white hair already he ran so fast. He simply doesn't care. Or maybe there was some reason given for Chan Fei's death. After all nobody was supposed to know Yu Fei had her killed as when Po Shim tried to say that every shut her up. Since Emperor is always away he wouldn't have known.

Kwai Yan may not be high but within one year she rose 2 ranks is an achievement.

Is Yu Fei Wong Gwai Fei?

Kidd November 12, 2005 at 7:11 AM  

I don't know. Throughout the whole series, everyone just calls her Yu Fei. So, I guess she is just only a 'Fei'. If she's a 'Gwai Fei', they would have called her Yu Gwai Fei.

Elizabeth December 3, 2005 at 1:40 AM  

No, Yu Fei is simply a 3rd rank Fei. You can't be promoted further unless you produce a male heir.

But in real life, Yu Fei would later become a Wong Kwai Fei.

And Funn, would you accept Michael Miu or Kong Wah acting so lusty and perverted? Even the two men can act, I doubt they can produce the amount of disgust and repulsion and non-regalness that Yu Yeung produces in this role, so that the audience can feel the desperation the women go for power and survival. I woudl cry if Michael was given this role. (You know that in the original casting, Gilbert Lam was the Emperor. Lucky for him! This is a crappy role!)

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter