SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 28

And the story continues to a rather melodramatic end I suppose. I am sorry to say I am losing interest in this series because the story keeps getting more and more ridiculous. It could have started with Onn Sin becoming a concubine, moving towards Onn Sin rather redundant as a concubine and kinda culminated on the fact that Yuk Ying then slept with Bak Yeung who was then threatened to keep silence on the baby in an attempt to...well you know..the whole long grandmother story but this one include also grandfather and grandson and all the relatives and believe me, the melodrama is getting a wee bit overcrowded. But there are some good sparks in here that kept me going, for one Senior Suen.

Senior Suen overheard Bak Yeung confessing to his long dead mother that he impregnated Yuk Ying, couldn't bring himself to leave Yuk Ying or even abort the child and knew he was wrong but could not stop loving that evil woman. Oh yes, I definitely hate Yuk Ying now. I think she singlehandedly destroyed the whole Suen family, but of course Bak Yeung's stupidity is also a really important reason. Anyway Senior Suen was shocked but did not confront Bak Yeung. Instead he asked his son out for a drink and then Bak Yeung became really drunk. When he woke up, he found out his father has left for the palace, left messages that Bak Yeung would not be in and that he asked someone to send a special medicine to Yuk Ying. Bak Yeung ran to Yuk Ying and stopped her from drinking which she almost did (and I so hoped she did) and Yuk Ying then reminded Bak Yeung of his promise to keep things quiet and handle things carefully. Like what Yuk Ying? Murder his father? Oh my god, I so hate Yuk Ying then. Why Bak Yeung want to subject himself to this piece of trash?

So Bak Yeung went home and found his father paying his respects to his dead mother. Bak Yeung rather hypocritically said "How could you carry out the empress' orders blindly? How could you want to kill the emperor's son in Yuk Ying? How could you?!" and Senior Suen rightly screamed back "The emperor's son? You mean your son? I heard what you said to your mother and luckily I did if not ...." and Bak Yeung taken aback accussingly said "You know the baby is your grandchild. How could you then?" and Senior Suen said "How could I not? That child is an illegitimate child that does not belong. You really think you can pass off the child as the emperor's child? You really think your plan can succeed? Wake up Bak Yeung! Wake up!" and Bak Yeung said "I will bear all responsiblities, I'll quit and leave the palace" and Senior Suen mockingly said "You think you can bear it all? Do you think you can truly bear all this responsibilities? Do you think you can just walk into the palace, quit and then walk out just like that?Bak Yeung, I have tried hard to save you, to save the Suen family and that is why I did what I did! But what's done been done. You will forget about this and live on, at least the problem is solved now" and Bak Yeung in his small voice said "It's not solved yet" and Senior Suen said "You didn't stop it did you?... This is my retribution! Do you know why I did not come home to say my final good byes to your dying mother 3 years ago? Because I was busy aborting Yu Fei's unborn child on the empress' orders! This is truly my retribution for all the sins I have committed! For all my sins..." and Bak Yeung whispered "You aborted Yu Fei's child 3 years ago?" and Senior Suen was in tears and Senior Suen said "But I can settle this. This can be solved" and he took a small knife and Bak Yeung stopped him and cried "Father, you can't kill yourself over this, it won't solve the problems" and Senior Suen said "I am not planning to kill myself, I will cut my fingers, report to the emperor that I am no longer able to be of service to him, we can all leave the palace and live peacefully elsewhere, hopefully this could save our lives" and Bak Yeung stopped his father and Bak Yeung tearfully said "No father, if there is anyone who should do this, it should be me" and he cut I think 3 of his own fingers and Senior Suen ran to him and hugged his son tightly as Bak Yeung said "Father, I am sorry. I have misunderstood you all these years, I finally realised everything you have done was for me and to safeguard our family name. Please forgive me father, please forgive me..." and I think he fainted though I can't remember.

Why I can remember this scene so well? Maybe a bit of my own emotion included as in words but truly almost an exact replica of that scene. Because this is the best and most memorable scene tonight and truly probably the best scene of the entire series because the emotions are raw, high and so sad. As I was writing the above, I felt like crying because Senior Suen is so noble. He may have done wrong but he realised he was wrong, he helped Yu Fei and he refused to help the empress and he strived to do the right thing although it may not be morally right and he really loved his son and his daughter in law, so he is a good man and Bak Yeung was so stupid. Such am amazing scene and may I say very well acted by Chan Hung Lit but Bowie was kinda melodramatic in here, not very good with extremes of emotions I guess.


Ahhh more sad stuff this time because of stupid Onn Sin.

The empress was having her hair combed one day (very pretty Rebecca Chan in this scene) when the maid complained that her fingers seems to be scalded or what's that word? Burnt by something whenever she touched the empress' hair since she got her fingers cut I think. That immediately raised an alarm in the empress and she realised she was being slowly poisoned through her hair which explained why she was often not well. She knew it was Siu Luk Tzi since he only touched her hair.

Siu Luk Tzi's fingers was also burnt. He did what he did for Onn Sin but Onn Sin didn't know. He advised Onn Sin to work hard to win the emperor's affection but Onn Sin refused and said "Do you expect me to carry his child?" and Siu Luk Tzi said "He is yourb husband" and Onn Sin retorted "He is merely a tool to avenge my grandmother's death. I may have married him but I need not love him. I am free to love anyone I want, he can't impose that on me", probably talking about Hung Mo. She also said "I have chosen this road, I knew how difficult this path would be, I knew it would be a lonely one and perhaps it is better this way". Then the empress' eunuch asked Onn Sin to see the empress and told Siu Luk Tzi that the empress wished to have her hair combed later and Siu Luk Tzi said he will wait for orders.

Onn Sin now with the empress and the empress immediately revealed her true colours by saying "I have a difficult question Onn Kwai Yan which I hope you may assist me in finding the answer" and Onn Sin said "I shall be glad to" and the empress asked "Everybody knows Siu Luk Tzi is like your brother. Do you think you can kill me by asking Siu Luk Tzi to poison me?" and Onn Sin was taken aback and she said "I don't understand my lady, I never would do that" and the empress sniggered "Of course you wouldn't unless you knew I ordered for your grandmother to be killed. I did that to make you stay to serve me, to ensure Yuk Ying is set right and to assist me but you're so stupid..." and Onn Sin immediately knelt before the empress and begged "My lady, if you must, take my life but I have one request; please spare Siu Luk Tzi's life".

Meanwhile a maid overheard the eunuchs planning to poison Siu Luk Tzi and she ran to Siu Luk Tzi and said "Don't go Siu Luk Tzi! Don't go! The empress has ordered for your death. What did you do Siu Luk Tzi to make her so angry?" and Siu Luk Tzi said "I have to go, if not they'll think I ran away and Onn Sin would be in trouble" but the maid said "But you'll die! Don't go! What did you do Siu Luk Tzi?" and Siu Luk Tzi said "I have to go" and he did and immediately he was given a cup of wine on the pretense that he was being rewarded but everybody knew and the eunuch said "You know you can't refuse the empress' gift" and Siu Luk Tzi said "Thank you for being here on my death" and he drank it and immediately spurted blood from his mouth.

Meanwhile Onn Sin was begging but the empress said "You're after all a Kwai Yan and I can't kill you just like that. Don't you worry, I will find a reason so for now you can leave for a while longer. But that Siu Luk Tzi, that dog of a servant, he can die now" and Onn Sin immediately ran to find Siu Luk Tzi and found him halfway towards somewhere I couldn't make out and she hugged him and before his death he confessed his love for her and said "I was castrated when I was 18 and I never dared to think I could give you happiness but I have always loved you. I never regretted what I did...Go find Hung Mo, he is the only one who can help you, go to him..." and he died in her arms and Onn Sin could not stop crying.

Another meanwhile, that crying maid that begged Siu Luk Tzi not to go ran to Hung Mo and passed him a letter written by Siu Luk tzi and the maid said "I always knew something was not right when Onn Kwai Yan became a concubine. She must have had her reasons" and Hung Mo read the letter which explained everything and he knew. He immediately ran to Onn Sin who was in her room but Onn Sin said "Leave me alone" but Hung Mo said "Siu Luk Tzi wrote in the letter why you did this. Why didn't you tell me? I could have helped you.." but Onn Sin said "I don't need your help, look what happened to Siu Luk Tzi. I don't need your help, go away" but Hung Mo said "Onn Sin, please don't do this. Please let me help, listen to me, I will think of a way to help you, the empress can be defeated, it is a matter of time" but Onn Sin said "How? I have thought of every plan and calculated my every move but in the end I failed, she exposed everything. Go, let me be, this is my journey to travel alone" and he said "Onn Sin" and she said "I think you should refer to me as Onn Kwai Yan, Onn Sin is not a name you can freely say, go" and he went away.

Hung Mo didn't give up. He went to Yu Fei and he asked Yu Fei to save Onn Sin's life but Yu Fei said "I can't help her. She tried to poison the empress" which is something even Yu Fei would never have done. But Hung Mo knelt before Yu Fei and said "I abandoned her in the times of need. I was foolish to let her walk through this journey alone and even blamed her for leaving me. I was foolish and I want to do something for her. Please Yu Fei, only you can save her, please help her" and Yu Fei softened and she said "If you don't stand up, how can I help her?" and he did and he went away. The eunuch besides Yu Fei commented "Foolish Hung Mo, even now he can't draw the line between Kwai Yan and himself" which meant he shouldn't have been in love with a kwai yan but Yu Fei looked a bit sad, in fact a tiny bit jealous that Hung Mo would do anything for Onn Sin.

At night Onn Sin was praying for Siu Luk Tzi's soul where he died and Yu Fei approached her. Yu Fei said "I think I can be of assistance to you, as it is Hung Mo's request. This is not the end, you can still defeat the empress" but Onn Sin was gloomy looking and said something I can't remember and Yu Fei didn't say anything but gave her something that shocked even Onn Sin's maid. That was the end for tonight.

I wonder, what did she gave her? Something like a golden plaque?

Anyway tomorrow drama as Hung Mo was told by Yu Fei "The only way Onn Sin can defeat the empress is to die with the empress!" and Hung Mo was well I guess shocked and tried desperately to stop Onn Sin.

Tonight's episode is great because of Senior Suen and Onn Sin and everybody else bad bad bad. Like I said melodrama but I love Onn Sin too much not to be drawn into her story. I feel she is very redundant as the concubine though and instead of becoming a concubine, she could have just you know continue as a maid and assist Yu Fei rise back to power. I mean it is just pure B.S storyline for Onn Sin and kinda almost killed this character. I'll talk more in my review.

Anyway the golden scene is Senior Suen. Everytime he meets with his son you could expect great moments and this is one of those scenes, perhaps the best there is.

Performance wise, I have said enough of Chan Hung Lit who put in an emotional punch tonight worthy of a veteran actor of his age whilst Bowie falters somehow. Not very convincing.

Sheren Teng as usual has that arrogant high and mighty look but that fleeting moment as she was watching Hung Mo walking away after begging her to help Onn Sin was a great moment. She could see the hurt in her eyes but she loved him too much not to say no.

Moses Chan did well in various scenes tonight though I expected more emotions from him when he discovered of Onn Sin's real reasons. I mean I expect like 'Ohhhhhh Onn Sinnnnn whyyyyyy whyyyyyy whyyyyy nooooooon Onnnn Sinnnnnnnnnnnn" you know. Maybe that's overacting a bit but more than just "Oh Onn Sin" that's it. I wish I can tell this to you because words do no justice to my comments.

Maggie as usual was wonderful except her Onn Sin like I said has been given a B.S type of storyline.

Rebecca Chan was simply evil as the empress. Loved it when she said "That dog servant can die first". Again English words do no justice to the dialogue in this episode.

Gigi Lai was horrible. Horrible. So horrible I have to repeat the word horrible like ... horriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorrible horriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorrible horriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorrible horriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorrible horriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorriblehorrible

Officially I hate Yuk Ying more than Yu Fei. That woman is bad news and well Bak Yeung was stupid. What more can I say? Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid

Ahhhhh series ending in TWO DAYS. How time flies. How time flies indeed. Ahhhhh will I miss this? I don't think so.

Next one is Twins of Brothers or Twin of Brothers or Twins of a brother or something like that. The costumes look radical, acting I am sure is not.



- For screencaps of this episode do check out Sehseh's WAB page -

2 comments:

Kidd December 1, 2005 at 7:12 AM  

I think 'Twin Of Brothers' is a crappy series. I never finish it. Stopped watching after my favourite minor character died. But, I think Tavia, Raymond and Nancy Wu did a great job in the series, especially Tavia. Ron Ng and Leila, on the other hand, were inadequate in this series. Ron failed big time in scenes that required him to show emotions while Leila failed to potray the essence of her character, the graceful fairylike See Fei Huin.

Anyway, there are people who absolutely love this series and think it's great. So, I guess it's a matter of taste. I also like another wuxia series 'Strike At Heart' that many people disliked. :p

Back to WAB. Logically, Bak Yeung is no doubt stupid. He has so many good women who love him and his go and fall for Yuk Ying. But at the same, I'm touched by his undying love for Yuk Ying. I dunno. This kind 'unable to pull away' love is always the most impactful to my emotion. Btw, some titbits. Bowie Lam himself doesn't even know why his character loves Yuk Ying. He has even asked the producer 'Why does Suen Bak Yeung love Yuk Ying so much? She is so evil'. I forgot what exactly Bowie said the producer said. Something about love cannot be explain etc etc. But Bowie also agreed that this kind of love story is very memorable and impactful. :)

Btw, this reminds me of another interview. It's by Kwong Wa. He said in his interview that he really disliked playing 'Tong Sam Jong' in JTTW. Even after JTTW became popular and many people praise his 'Tong Sam Jong' as the best 'Tong Sam Jong' he still disliked the role. Surprising, isn't it? Bowie Lam doesn't know why his character love evil Yuk Ying, but he can still potray the love so well while Kwong Wa dislike his role as Tong Sam Jong but can still potray the character so well that people think he's TSJ is the best one. Shows what good actors they are.

Anonymous December 2, 2005 at 1:22 AM  

If I am not mistaken, the next one should be Split Second.

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was first released in 2004 and was broadcast over at ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005 on weekdays from Monday to Friday. These episodic thoughts were written during the broadcast period over at ASTRO on a daily basis and was completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts are episode summaries with review of each episode as I watch them and they are all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so do feel free to post your comments.

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter